Windows Crash on Import

As the next version of the program is under development, the "beta testers" help by testing the new program, finding the bugs, and making comments and suggestions on the new features.
jennywilburn
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Windows Crash on Import

Post by jennywilburn »

I just downloaded the beta version and have been very happy with the changes. However, each time I try to import a new excel file Windows crashes right after I select the excel sheet file. Any suggestions?
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Re: Windows Crash on Import

Post by jmuehleisen »

Sorry you are running into problems.

Are you getting a specific error message when doing the import? And, is this with an initial import of names and addresses, or are you dealing with processing a contributions file that comes in Excel format?

One common problem with that some Excel files is that MS slightly changed the file format between the 97 / and 2003 versions of Excel. Excel opens them just fine, but the DM crashes.

The easiest way to get around this is to open the file in Excel, and then re-save it using the /File /Save As command, and then selecting Excel 5.0 / 95 as the file format. I'd suggest saving the file with a different file name so your original is untouched.

The DM rarely has trouble with that format.

Either way, though, let me know which import routine is giving you the problem and what the specific error message is to I can track this down more specifically. Oh, and let me know which version of the DM are you using. That info will also be helpful.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation