Migrate data back to Donor 5?

As the next version of the program is under development, the "beta testers" help by testing the new program, finding the bugs, and making comments and suggestions on the new features.
katiec.surveyor
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Migrate data back to Donor 5?

Post by katiec.surveyor »

I was using donor 6 on my last computer, but when I installed it on my new computer I'm suddenly having lots of issues. When I tell it to check for updates online, it claims that it is updated.
Some problems I'm having:
- for some donors I cannot get the church link to work.
- i can't figure out how to get the email addresses sorted when I do a bulk email. I used to use only the "ok to email" group, but now it just does every record whether or not it has that checked.
- having some issues with the sort names. when i create a new record from the import gifts tab, for example, it asks me to specify a sort name but doesn't give me as many letters as are available when i create a new partner from scratch.
Anyway, I've had multiple issues that have stumped me and I wanted to just try migrating stuff back to DM 5 but couldn't even figure out how to do that. Have some of these issues I mention been dealt with? Can I migrate back somehow? The email not sorting is especially frustrating. Thanks!
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: Migrate data back to Donor 5?

Post by jmuehleisen »

Sorry I missed your message earlier.

Several of the issued you reported have indeed been fixed in an update which will be coming out in the next few weeks.

I'll take a look at each of the things you mentioned and try to address those.

John
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
katiec.surveyor

Post by katiec.surveyor »

I got the most recent update, and it looks like it fixed a lot of the problems I had. A couple of things still:

When I hit "add new partner", it creates a new record but doesn't take me to it, so I have to go to the top and find the empty record. Not the end of the world, just a bit of a nuisance, and I sometimes think the 'add new partner' button didn't work because of it.

Still seem to have some issues with sort names.

When I add a new partner it has the "file as" field, but that seems to be different than the actual "sort name". So on some reports several of the partners who I've added recently (who weren't in Donor 5 when I migrated my stuff) appear at the top of the report list out of alphabetical order, which leads me to think they don't have a 'sort name'.

I can't find any way to fix this and add a sort name for these people.

Thanks!
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Sorry I missed your post earlier.
When I hit "add new partner", it creates a new record but doesn't take me to it, so I have to go to the top and find the empty record. Not the end of the world, just a bit of a nuisance, and I sometimes think the 'add new partner' button didn't work because of it.
Thanks for letting me know about this. This is confirmed as a bug and has been fixed in 6.02 or later (which will be available by "Live Update" later today).
Still seem to have some issues with sort names. When I add a new partner it has the "file as" field, but that seems to be different than the actual "sort name". So on some reports several of the partners who I've added recently (who weren't in Donor 5 when I migrated my stuff) appear at the top of the report list out of alphabetical order, which leads me to think they don't have a 'sort name'. I can't find any way to fix this and add a sort name for these people.
This is a change in Donor Manager 6.

The field that used to be called "Sort Name" is now called "File As."

And when you first do a DM 5 -> DM 6 migration, it tries to figure out what the File As name should be.

But, it doesn't always get it right, but it does most of the time.

And you can always change the sort name manually.

Now, you said:
So on some reports several of the partners who I've added recently (who weren't in Donor 5 when I migrated my stuff) appear at the top of the report list out of alphabetical order
If their "File As" name is blank (or the DM guessed wrong) then they may indeed end up out of order, and that is frustrating.

But, if you have a File As name in there (and it is what you want), and a report is not respecting that (when doing an alphabetical sort), by all means let me know which report is not working properly so I can fix that.

Thanks for your feedback. It is very helpful.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation