Track manually entered gifts

As the next version of the program is under development, the "beta testers" help by testing the new program, finding the bugs, and making comments and suggestions on the new features.
JohnThomson

Track manually entered gifts

Post by JohnThomson »

It would be nice to be able to generate a report and/or export of gifts that were entered manually rather than imported from statements. (I would use this to create a report I have to send to Wycliffe of direct gifts that didn't come through the organization.)
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Re: Track manually entered gifts

Post by jmuehleisen »

Hmmm. Interesting idea.

The program does not distinguish the method used to enter gifts, although it would not be a big deal to add that if enough people would find it useful.

In my organization, when we receive direct gifts, we send them to the office so they are properly receipted, and then that data comes back to us in our contributions report for that month.

Are you saying that WBT does that differently? How does the donor get an organizational receipt?

Tell me more ... I'm intrigued by this.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
JohnThomson

Post by JohnThomson »

It's sometimes possible for us to do the same thing (that is, send the gift on to the regular receipts department). But some donors don't want an official receipt (many of mine are in Australia, where gifts to Wycliffe are not tax deductible). And some can't be forwarded. My brother, for example, sends me regular support by direct bank transfer from his account to mine. No way to forward that, though I suppose I could ask him to do it differently.

Wycliffe's main way of handling this is just to have members submit a "monthly financial report" which lists among other things the total amount of direct gifts that have not gone through the normal receipting process. These gifts will never appear on one of my statements, so I will have to enter them by hand...and there should therefore be a pretty good correspondence between the ones I need to enter by hand and the ones I need to report to Wycliffe.

Another way of looking at it would be to give gifts an 'unreported' flag similar to the 'unthanked' one. Gifts entered by importing a statement would be automatically 'reported'. Manually entered ones would by default be unreported. Then there would be a way to see or export all the unreported ones and a way to mark them reported.

However, as it happens, as well as reporting them to Wycliffe (ideally monthly) I also have to report them annually to the IRS. So in many ways it would actually be more useful to be able to find the manual ones in a certain date range.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Post by jmuehleisen »

Thanks for the additional information.

Let me think a bit on this one.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
JohnThomson

Post by JohnThomson »

This is not a big deal...just something I thought might be easy and useful. It's not worth a lot of trouble unless others would find it useful also.