Invalid path or filename error in install

As the next version of the program is under development, the "beta testers" help by testing the new program, finding the bugs, and making comments and suggestions on the new features.
Jerry Crosby
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Invalid path or filename error in install

Post by Jerry Crosby »

I'm trying to install DM 6 Beta on my laptop, which I've done, but when I run it I get this error message: "Invalid path or filename." The window has the little Windows logo on it and says, "Program error."

Running Windows 7 Starter. I already have DM 5 up and running.

Sure would like to get this working. And I'm getting the same error on the installation I attempted on my desktop.

Jerry
Jerry Crosby
Human Resources Director
InterAct Ministries
http://www.InterActMinistries.org
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Re: Invalid path or filename error in install

Post by jmuehleisen »

Jerry,

Thanks for this error report.

What folder do you have DM 6 installed in?

If you have it installed in /Program Files/ ... something ..., then try installing it into c:\donor6 to see if that makes a difference.

Also, if you are running on Windows 7 Starter, is this on a netbook perhaps (with a smaller screen). If so, be aware that there are some cosmetic bugs with DM 6 when run on a small screen. I'm aware of these and am trying to find a work around.

Let me know how it goes. And, again, thanks for letting me know about this error.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Jerry Crosby
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Post by Jerry Crosby »

Since originally posting this concern, I have not solved the problem. I did as you said, John, and made sure it was installed in the C:\Donor6 location. I have since reformatted a computer (complete wipe and install Windows 7 Pro) and get the same error when trying to install on it. Then just today I tried to install it on a staff member's laptop (Windows XP) and still the same error. It appears to be a problem that cannot be fixed on the user side.

I await a solution.
Jerry Crosby
Human Resources Director
InterAct Ministries
http://www.InterActMinistries.org
jwardell

Post by jwardell »

I have the same error. I cannot run new DM6 without error asking about database files. This is true on two computers - one is Windows XP, one is a brand new Windows 7 which never had Donor5 installed.
MrZed

Post by MrZed »

John, and Jerry, I get the same error message when I try to run DM 6 beta 40 on Windows 7.

I am using c:/donor6 as the default folder.

I note that there is not a c:\donor6\data like there was under c:\donor5\data. Might this be the missing folder?

Dan Zachary
MrZed

Post by MrZed »

Additional:

I created c:\donor6\data
Now I get an error c:\donor6\donor.dbf does not exist.

If I ignore and continue, later I get c:\donor6\gift.dbf does not exist.

Looks like whatever sets up the empty default donor.dbf and related files is not working.

Dan
bwcawman

Post by bwcawman »

Same problem as mrzed. Any news on how to get the data files? I can't really test when I can't even run the application.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

This bug has been fixed starting with beta 47.

In many instances, a new install would fail due to data files not being created properly on the first run.

Download and install the "program update" for beta 47 (or later).

I'm working on a number of other updates but wanted to get this one out right away as it is a "show stopper" for many.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation