Avira antivirus

Use this forum to report a bug in the program.
deckerstx
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Avira antivirus

Post by deckerstx »

I recently switched from AVG to Avira for antivirus protection. It keeps identifying the file C:\donor5\bbdownloadurl.fll as suspicious code HEUR/malware. The first time I quarantined it, then DM wouldn't work (duh!). Now each time I have to consciously make sure it doesn't get quarantined. I thought this was a problem with DM, but after reading some previous posts about problems with AVG, I'm thinking it must be something with Avira? Has anyone else had this problem?
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Re: Avira antivirus

Post by jmuehleisen »

What is happening here is that the code that powers bbDownloadURL.fll is a common open source routine that downloads programs over the internet.

Now, some virus writers have used that same routine in crafting their viruses / trojans to download things to your computer. As a result, a number of anti-virus programs see that code in there and flag it as mal-ware.

This is the code that runs the "live update" routine. So, although it is not specifically a DM problem, it has become a DM problem because of a "false positive" here. So, if there is a way in your anti-virus to flag that particular file as "OK" that would be the way to do.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation