prefs.dbf does not exist

Use this forum to report a bug in the program.
Del
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

prefs.dbf does not exist

Post by Del »

This is my second time to try a Pack and Go.
The first time I received the same error message... and finally found a way to work around transferring data to another laptop.

But I did not make a note of how I did it... and now a few months later ... same error message.

DM 5.6 on both machines using the same folders etc.
One uses XP sp3 the second laptop uses xp sp2

Any suggestions?
Del
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: prefs.dbf does not exist

Post by jmuehleisen »

The "prefs.dbf" table contains your "preferences" ... and also things like your name and address, and various internal settings in the program.

Do either of your DM installations work, or are both of them giving you this error message.

If one of them works, simply copy the single file "prefs.dbf" from the /data folder (probably c:\donor5\data) from that computer to the one that is giving the error message.

If neither of them have that file, let me know and I'll upload (or send to you) a blank copy of the file.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Del

Post by Del »

I copied the prefs file from the desktop where dm works to the laptop.
I then did a fresh install and tried the pack and go again... same error message... asks me to locate the file... I tried copying the file.. get the following :

"A subdirectory or file C:\donor5\data already exists".

Del
Del

Re: prefs.dbf does not exist, fixed!

Post by Del »

Thanks for your suggestions.... although It did not seem to fix the problem.

I believe I have found a way to work around the issue.

With the program already installed on the 2nd computer (with no partner entries), I deleted the whole Donor5 folder on the 2nd computer.

I then copied the Donor5 folder from the original machine on a memory key and then copied the whole folder to the 2nd machine. I think there are some files in different directories, registry entries etc, that I do not know about... but they were there from the failed installation. I did a quick check and my partner addresses etc are on the 2nd computer.

It did not take long.... so its a little longer version of a pack and go ... I guess.

I am writing this down.... for the next time.

Thanks for your help!
Del
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

I think you did indeed end up with an extra directory or two in there, so I'm glad you worked it out.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation