Clicking "quit" or "X" doesn't work

Use this forum to report a bug in the program.
jgroening
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Clicking "quit" or "X" doesn't work

Post by jgroening »

The only way to quit DM is to go to the file menu and click exit.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: Clicking "quit" or "X" doesn't work

Post by jmuehleisen »

The only way to quit DM is to go to the file menu and click exit.
Hmmm. I'm not having that problem here. Are you getting an message that says "you can't quit"?

Where are you trying this and finding it not working? That will help me track this down a bit more.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
jgroening

Post by jgroening »

From the main screen or home page, clicking on quit or X gives a quick blank screen and then comes back on as before.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

What version of the program are you running?
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

One more thing to check.

Navigate directly to the c:\donor5 folder (or wherever you have the DM installed).

Start the DM by double clicking the donor.exe file directly.

Then try to quit with the "quit" or 'x." Does it behave properly, or does it also fail to exit properly at this point? Let me know.

If it keeps in this "loop" then I want you to send me the following file from your data folder: prefs.dbf

E-Mail it to: john@donormanager.com

We'll figure it out. I love a mystery!
John Muehleisen
jgroening

Post by jgroening »

I started the program straight from the source by clicking on the donor.exe file. That did not help. It still refuses to close by clicking x or quit.
SpudTravelers

Post by SpudTravelers »

I don't know if you have found a solution for this or not. After switching laptops and moving from XP to Vista, the "quit" and "X" does not shut DM down. However, when I go to File and click exit, it does shut down.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Thanks for that info.

I've been running DM on vista for about 3 years now and am not having any problem with the shutdown. I'm simply unable to duplicate this bug.

I don't think it's Vista related, though.

Out of curiosity, what folder you have the DM installed in? I have seen strange behaviors when DM is installed on Vista in c:\Program Files\donor ... rather than in the default folder of c:\donor5.

That may or may not be related. Just a guess at this point.
John Muehleisen
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

I just had another idea I'd like to test.

On your start menu, go to Alll Programs -> Donor Manager -> VFP Command Prompt.

A box will come up on your screen. Type in the following commands, pressing <Enter> at the end of each line.

Code: Select all

set path to data
use prefs
replace restart with .f.
quit
Now, restart the donor manager and try to quit using the <X> (or any other method that has not worked for you in the past).

Let me know if that helps, or if it continues to require a /File /Quit to get out.
John Muehleisen
jgroening

Post by jgroening »

I tried what you said and then opened DM again and the problem persists....Sorry.

Joel Groening
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping that would work.
John Muehleisen
SteveP
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Post by SteveP »

For your info, John, I've had the same problem for some time now with DM on Windows XP Pro (so it's not Vista). I have DM installed in the default location (C:\donor5). I've tried the set of FoxPro commands you gave above, and am sorry to say they made no difference for me either.

Well, you said you enjoyed a mystery… :lol:
SpudTravelers

Post by SpudTravelers »

Okay John,

I am ready to jump back into this one. I continued using the program even though I have to go to File/Exit to quit the program. Everything else seemed to work fine. What I didn't realize until I wanted to transfer files to my new laptop is that all the backups stopped back on June 14, 2009. Weird thing is that the Last Quick Backup is listed as Nov 29, 2005 before I even owned that laptop. I am running the DM 5.79.00 and Windows 7 on both laptops. The old laptop started with Vista, then I upgraded when 7 came out. When I try to back up or do "Pack and Go", I get all kinds of grief. The "Pack and Go" has a couple "file access denied" messages, but doesn't tell me which files. The Full Backup only gives me information through June 2009. No new information will backup even though it is retained in the program. I would really rather not have to reenter three years worth of data. Any suggestions?

Rod
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Very curious, indeed.

Right now, the "Pack and Go" is definitely the way to go for the most comprehensive backups.

What folder do you have the Donor Manager installed in?

Both VISTA and Windows 7 really want to install it in /Program Files/Donor5 ... but that causes a lot of problems and the DM really needs to be installed in a folder outside of /Program Files/ ...

Here's why.

DM5 stores its data one folder below where the program is. But, VISTA and Windows 7 do not allow programs to store their data there, so they try to move the data over to another folder under /Users.

And, for some things in the DM, that works just fine.

But a number of routines can't handle the data not being where it expects to find it and there are all kinds of errors that come up.

So, I'm wondering if that might be part of the problem here (as the Pack and Go works find on my Windows 7 machine ... but the program is installed in c:/donor5).

Let me know and that and we'll figure out how to go from here.
John Muehleisen
SpudTravelers

Post by SpudTravelers »

This may have just gotten ugly. I did a full install to C:/Donor5 and then copied (I am 99.9% sure I did a control C) the data file from C:/Program Files/Donor5 to the new install. I opened the new program and found that I did not have the past 3 years worth of information. When I went back to the folder in Program Files, my Data folder was no longer there and when I open the old program, I do not have the last three years worth of files. I have some backup information that I will now start working on to see if I can retrieve my data. Only thing I know to say right now is snarf! :roll:

On a positive note, when I open the install on C:/Donor5, the original problem clicking quit is solved.

Any suggestions on retrieving my old data?

Rod