Truncated donor IDs causing misdirecting gifts

Use this forum to report a bug in the program.
Donald
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Truncated donor IDs causing misdirecting gifts

Post by Donald »

When importing my html Wycliffe statement, donations will be assigned to the wrong donor.

This appears to happen because the last digit of the donor ID is dropped allowing two (or more) donors to have the same ID. This seems to cause all gift with the NOW same donor ID to be attributed to whoever is first alphabetically.

If I add the final digit in the donor ID field in the partner information, this does not fix this issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Unfortunately I now have several sets of donors with the same ID. My solution for the last year has been to delete the combined gift and manually enter the individual gifts. I am hoping there is a better solution.
paxerit

Post by paxerit »

I have the same problem (also with our Wycliffe statement), and my solution has been the same as yours. Fortunately (?) it only affects about 6 of our donors, but definitely makes for confusion if I'm not paying attention
nairbo

Post by nairbo »

I noticed this same problem just this week. I haven't found any actual problems, but I can think of a few possible issues that could arise from this (including the one the first two guys reported). I think I should be fine as long as I review each individual gift entry when I import every month. It's just kinda strange for it to be doing this.

Interesting enough, Donor Manager is sticking a couple of leading zeroes where there aren't any in the actual HTML document. Maybe that could be a clue as to the cause?

Also, when I correct the numbers in Donor Manager, I have to relink the people when I import the next month's report, and it resets the donor number.
Gene Platte

Donor Number importing problem

Post by Gene Platte »

Any solutions on this?
Can new import data from existing donors be trusted to import properly?
This is a problem of a huge magnitude if new imports are going to be in new duplicated donor files!!
Gene Platte
gplatte@ludlow.net
Area Mobilizer/Midwest
Interserve USA
Michael

Re: Truncated donor IDs causing misdirecting gifts

Post by Michael »

I'm having this problem, as well as the comments line problem. I've resorted to entering data manually because there are too many bugs with the import.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Re: Truncated donor IDs causing misdirecting gifts

Post by jmuehleisen »

Several things are happening here.

On the "truncated donor ID numbers," the parent organization (in some cases) have moved from 6 digit Donor ID codes (which was the case when the gift importer was written) to 7 digit IDs and I was not aware of that.

There have been a number of issues with the WBT HTML gift importer due to various codes being used in the "Comments" section that throw off the gift importer.

I think (hope! pray!) that these have been addressed in DM 5.52, which includes a significant rewrite of the WBT HTML gift importer.

Try reprocessing those problematic statements with 5.52 or later and let me know how that goes.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation