Problem with AVG antivirus

Use this forum to report a bug in the program.
bookwurm70

Problem with AVG antivirus

Post by bookwurm70 »

I use AVG antivirus software and had a problem last night when it was running. It marked 5 donor manager files as a Trojan Horse and quarentined them. I tried to restore them, but now my Donor manager won't work.

I'm guessing I should uninstall and reinstall the software. Will I lose my data? I have 3 years worth of stuff and people's names on my computer. I do back up, so I should have a backup of my data on a flash drive just in case.

Plus I'm worried about this doing it again. Even as I tried to restore the files it kept giving me a warning and I couldn't figure out how to tell AVG that Donor manager is not a Trojan Horse.

Thanks!
MrZed

AVG Error

Post by MrZed »

AVG made the mistake and classified ALL FoxPro version 6 software a virus. By now, your AVG should have updated to fix this problem.

You will need to recover the .exe files for Donor Manager -- perhaps downloading them if you don't have them in you AVG virus vault or can't get them out, but this should not mess up your data.

Good luck.

Dan
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Post by jmuehleisen »

And let me add that you can reinstall the donor manager without killing your data files. Just re-download and install the program.

Now, let me explain a bit about what happens with the donor manager installs.

The installer creates a folder for the program (by default c:\donor5 ... but you can make it whatever you wish) and then puts the donor.exe program in there.

Then, the first time the program runs, it looks for a set of data files in c:\donor5\data. If it finds then, great. It uses them.

If it doesn't find any data there, it assumes that this is a "fresh install" and proceeds to create that folder and makes fresh, empty data files.

So, if the c:\donor5\data folder is there (with the files in it) then simply installing a fresh copy of the donor.exe program into c:\donor5 will get you back in business.

Now, from time to time the data structures of those files do change, but the Donor Manager upgrades them "on the fly" as needed.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation