Donor Manager on Windows 10

Use this forum to report a bug in the program.
lizpfeifer
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Donor Manager on Windows 10

Post by lizpfeifer »

I'm aware that TntMPD does not work on Windows 10, but I didn't get any notification about Donor Manager in the compatability checker before installing Windows 10.
When I open DM6 for the first time, this message appears
DM Win 10.PNG
DM Win 10.PNG (15.99 KiB) Viewed 18204 times
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: Donor Manager on Windows 10

Post by jmuehleisen »

Hi Liz,

Thanks for reporting this error. This is the first I've seen this one.

Try this ... in the c:\donor6 folder, delete the file foxypreviewer.app (or simply rename it).

(This is a 3rd party report previewer that I use).

When the DM starts up the next time (hopefully, it will start), it may offer to download the advanced report previewer.

Decline that offer.

Then, go to Settings -> Report Options -> Use Advanced Report Previewer -> No

See if that helps.

Let me know how it goes.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
lizpfeifer

Post by lizpfeifer »

I didn't read your full instructions initially. (I read the message on my phone and it only displayed the part about deleting the file, then opening Donor Manager).

Anyway, Donor Manager opened, then I clicked Yes on the message about installing the report previewer (as I hadn't read the part of your message to ignore it).

Donor Manager is working fine even though I ran the process to install the report previewer.

Maybe all that is necessary to get it working is for a person to delete the foxypreviewer.app file, open Donor Manager, and install the report previewer again.

I haven't unchecked the option in Settings, but it's working fine now.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

I am glad that this was an easy fix for you.

And thanks for helping test this solution out.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
phil_sattler

Post by phil_sattler »

Does the thread therefore mean that you actually do run on windows 10 with a few work arounds? I am interested in moving from win 7 to 10 while it is still free, if Donor Manager will actually work at that level.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Donor Manager does indeed run fine on Windows 10.

Some users have reported problems with the advanced report previewer, but not all.

For example, on my Windows 10 computer, the advanced report previewer runs fine. (In fact, I do my programming on Windows 10).

But, on my wife's laptop, it has problems. But on her office computer, it works fine. Both are Windows 10.

Now, here are the usual symptoms: If you get an error when starting DM on Windows 10 and it is complaining about not being able to load the printer driver, then simply delete foxypreviewer.app in the DM program folder.

Ignore the offer to re-download it the next time DM starts, and then go to Settings -> Report Printing Options -> Use Advanced Report Previewer -> No.

That's generally all that is needed, and I estimate that this problem occurs on less than a quarter of Windows 10 computers. And I have no idea why. The advanced report previewer is a third party tool that I use and I don't know if this issue will be fixed or not.
John Muehleisen
MLSmyth

Post by MLSmyth »

I had this same error on my MS Surface 3Pro when I upgraded to Windows 10. However, I followed all the directions above, and all is well now! Thanks!
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Great.

I am glad to hear that was an easy fix.
John Muehleisen