Visual FoxPro fatal error exception code=C0000005

Use this forum to report a bug in the program.
tmoore
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Visual FoxPro fatal error exception code=C0000005

Post by tmoore »

I downloaded DM 6 and installed it on my PC running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. When I try to open DM I get an error message: "Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 09/25/14 03:51:25PM. Error log file C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VFP\vfp9err.log".

The log file contains no useful information--nothing more than the error message.

I have tried rebooting my PC and uninstalling DM and reinstalling it as an administrator. All with the same results. A search of the web indicates the exception code is related to trying to access an invalid property of an object, but was supposed to have been fixed in VFP 6.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Terry
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: Visual FoxPro fatal error exception code=C0000005

Post by jmuehleisen »

Terry,

Sorry you are running into problems here. C005 errors are very rare, and generally mean some type of internal memory corruption.

I have seen it when an index file gets messed up.

So, try this. Zip up your c:\donor6\data folder and email it to me at john@donormanager.com

I'll install your data here and that should help me find the data file that is causing the problem.

John
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
tmoore

Post by tmoore »

Hi John,

DM has never run for me. I got the 0005 error the first time I ran DM after installing it. It does not look like DM ever got as far as creating the data file--no data folder.

I'm an old IT guy and did db development in Access among other things. The fact that I can't get a program to install and run is puzzling, especially since this doesn't appear to be a common problem. My computer has all the latest updates and is scanned daily for viruses and malware. I've thought through possible issues peculiar to my PC and can't think of any.

I have TntMPD installed and working, and wanted to take a look at DM and see if I wanted to migrate to it. So I can continue to use tnt. On the other hand, the old IT guy in me would like to figure this out.

Depending on your time/interest we can pursue this or let the issue die. As I said my case does not appear to be the norm.

Regards,
Terry
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Out of curiosity, what folder do you have the program installed in?

If it is installed in c:\program files\etc... that might explain this.

(DM just won't run in c:\program files...).

It will run about anywhere else, but it doesn't place nicely with how Windows 7+ handles Virtual Data Stores. (Actually a legacy issue that is on my list of things to fix).

So, let me know about where the .exe is installed.

I'd love to find out what is causing this.

John
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
tmoore

Post by tmoore »

John,
I accepted the defaults, so it's in c:\donor6.
--Terry
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

OK.

Let's move on to the next idea.

Try disabling your anti-virus temporarily.

I've seen some cases where an anti-virus program stops DM from running because it fails their "reputation" test.

I've seen Avast and Norton (in particular) be very aggressive here.

So, disable your AV temporarily and then try running DM again.

Since you had problems with the first run, look to see if there is a c:\donor6\data folder.

If that folder is there (it is created the first time DM runs) just delete it. DM will then treat this as a new installation.

If that C0005 error disappears, then you'll need to "whitelist" donor.exe in your security software. I helped someone last week with this and it actually had to be whitelisted in 2 places in Avast.

Let me know if temporarily disabling the AV makes any difference.
John Muehleisen
tmoore

Post by tmoore »

I'm running Microsoft Security Essential, and it can't be temporarily disabled--at least as far as I know. I did add DM to excluded processes and excluded files. When I reran DM I got the same error. The data folder is not there. This would seem to indicate that DM is crashing sometime before it creates the initial folder/database. It's got me stumped!!
tmoore

Post by tmoore »

John, I figured out how to temporarily disable Microsoft Security Essentials. I did so, but there was no change when I ran DM. Still the same error.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

OK. That sound you hear is me scratching my head.

Let's schedule a remote access session and we can try to troubleshoot this together.

I'd love to get to the bottom of this.

I'll email you and we can try to schedule a time.
John Muehleisen