New partners not showing up in gift entry

Use this forum to report a bug in the program.
Andrew
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

New partners not showing up in gift entry

Post by Andrew »

I have entered several new partners, but they are not showing up in the gift entry page. I have restarted the program a couple times and no change.

I am using DM 6.00, build 71. I did get a couple errors when opening DM the first time after installation, and had to allow permissions for editing/modifying in my DM6 folder. I'm not getting any errors now, but maybe this one gives a clue to this problem?

Error Message file access is denied c:\program files\donor6\hqimpor
Line Number: 12
Line with error do"c:\program files\donor6\donor.exe"
Module: gift.createimportfile

Try again to run the same code
Ignore the error and continue
Andrew

Re: New partners not showing up in gift entry

Post by Andrew »

This might also be related - sometimes (not consistently) using the Find Partner function brings up someone other than the name I entered. Using the Find field on the left seems to work properly every time.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Sorry you are running into a problem.

Chances are the problem is related to the folder you have installed the DM into.

You have installed it into c:\program files\etc....

The DM currently can't be in c:\program files ... it has to be somewhere else.

Here is why ... the DM creates files "on the fly" ... and then Windows moves them to a hidden folder (because it doesn't like programs creating files there).

Then,the DM can't find the files and strange things start happening.

In a future update, I will change how the DM works so you CAN put the program in c:\program files (which is where is really SHOULD be), but for now, it just won't run right there and gives a lot of errors.

So, try this.

Put it in c:\donor6 or in the My Documents folder or somewhere else.

You may need to search for your donor data and move that too to a folder named "data" under where the DM is installed.

It is probably installed in c:\users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramFiles\<something>

Let me know how that goes for you. If you get stuck, let me know and I'll be glad to help.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the tip. I guess I should have left it in the default destination!

So I did a full backup, uninstalled DM 6, reinstalled, opened it, did a full restore, and got an error saying "Alias, 'PREFS' is not found." I ignored it, it reappeared and I cancelled it twice, and then I restarted the program and it appears to be working now.

However, I still have the issue with those new partners not appearing in the gifts entry page. If I open them in the details page and then open the gifts entry page, I can enter on their record, but I can't pull their name up in the manual gifts entry field from scratch.

Do I need to copy that data file even if I did a full restore of my DM data?

The other problem was inconsistent but so far it has not appeared again.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Some more info: I checked the "PartnerNamesGiftHistory" and the "partnernames" spreadsheets, and they are not updating when I close DM. I've restarted the program multiple times this morning trying to get it to process those new partners, but neither of those spreadsheets have been modified for several hours.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

This is confirmed as a bug in the manual gift entry.

I'll fix this tomorrow and let you know when there is an update that addresses this.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

I've fixed the bug that is affecting the manual gift entry.

I've got a few more goodies that I am building into the next release and want to test those before I upload this.

You mentioned that your PartnerNames.xls and PartnerNamesGiftHistory.xls files are not being updated.

That seems to be working fine here, so I'm not sure where the issue is.

One thing to check. Go to /Tools /Auto Backup Options and make sure that "Make a copy of my partner names in Excel Format" is checked.
John Muehleisen
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I will check if the PartnerNames is still checked, although I didn't do anything with it.

I am on a different computer now and just trying different features out. I was actually having the same post-installation errors as my other topic, on this computer, but now I reinstalled into C drive and it's working like a charm.

Almost! I just got the following error:

Error Message: variable 'last' not found.
Line Number: 7
Line with error: left(last,1)
Module: frmdonormain.pgfmain.page3.pgfreport.page1.ctrreport1.dblclick

I was attempting to run a report with two checked groups using the "is in any of these groups" option.

When I selected "run again with same code" it did run the report. I ran the report again without any errors and can't seem to recreate the error.

By the way, I really like the new full-screen layout and the color scheme. Good work!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Ok, I checked the backup options and the PartnerNames box was checked. So then I tried the computer-age-old magic trick and restarted my computer. I entered a new donation, and when I closed DM the spreadsheets had both updated!

Several other thoughts, which I realize could use their own topics...

The View new posts and View active topics links on the DM Forum don't seem to ever bring anything up.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I updated DM to Build 78. I can now search/find those new partners, however they are not showing up in the manual gift entry field. The general find function is still erratic for bringing up different partners from those I have inputted - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Also, double-clicking on a church entry under the churches tab often brings up a totally different partner.

I'm not trying to find bugs, but for your info: I restored my data files from one computer to another via USB, and I got the following errors afterward:

Error: Alias 'PREFS' is not found (I clicked ignore)
Variable 'MREPLY' is not found (I clicked ignore)
Error: Alias 'PREFS' is not found (I clicked ignore) (There was a DM event error screen in the background with a code F or something similar if I remember correctly.

I restarted DM and it seems to be working fine now...

Just did a search for "church" and got an error saying "record is out of range", line 106, module "donor.find". I ignored it and continued without trouble.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Do an update to get build 81 (uploaded a bit earlier today).

Some of these issues (I think) are fixed.

I'll check each of these, though, to be sure and let you know what I find.
John Muehleisen
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

I'm not trying to find bugs,
The feedback and bug reports are very helpful. Keep it coming.
I can now search/find those new partners, however they are not showing up in the manual gift entry field. The general find function is still erratic for bringing up different partners from those I have inputted - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Check this for me:

partners that it cannot seem to find ... see if the partner master record has a blank "File As" field. If so, put something in there and let me know if that makes a difference.

Also, try doing a search by putting a period (.) in front of the name when searching. For example, instead of typing "smith" type ".smith".
Error: Alias 'PREFS' is not found (I clicked ignore)
Variable 'MREPLY' is not found (I clicked ignore)
Error: Alias 'PREFS' is not found (I clicked ignore) (There was a DM event error screen in the background with a code F or something similar if I remember correctly.
All are related to the first error, and I'm pretty sure fixed in an earlier update today.
Also, double-clicking on a church entry under the churches tab often brings up a totally different partner.
I am not seeing this behavior, so we'll investigate a bit more.
Just did a search for "church" and got an error saying "record is out of range", line 106, module "donor.find". I ignored it and continued without trouble.
Noted. Did you get a pick list of churches? Or did the error occur before the pick list came up?
John Muehleisen
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the update!

Where is the partner master record?

Regarding the churches error, I don't remember if I got a pick list of churches or what order the error occurred, sorry.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Where is the partner master record?
When I say "partner master record" I am referring to the partner details screen (what you get when you click "Details" at the top of the screen ... or when you double click a line on just about any grid list in the program where partner names are listed).

Sorry for any confusion.
John Muehleisen
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Ok, that's what I assumed, but can't see any blank entries. I guess that's a dead end!