"Put E-mail Addresses on Clipboard" problem

Use this forum to report a bug in the program.
matt.drees
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

"Put E-mail Addresses on Clipboard" problem

Post by matt.drees »

Hi,

I am trying to help my wife figure out a problem with her Donor Manager database. She recently got a new work computer, a macbook pro, which runs Windows XP in a VirtualBox VM. DonorManager seems to work fine except that she when she tries to copy email address to the clipboard for an email, it seems to copy only a small subset of the email addresses. So, for example, one time recently I selected a filter in the "Advanced Filters" tab, and then double clicked the "Put E-Mail Addresses on Clipboard", and it gave a popup saying "328 email addresses have been placed on the windows clipbard...", as if things worked fine. But when I paste into a blank text document, only 7 email address were pasted there.

The address that 'survive' are not deterministic; sometimes no emails make it, sometimes it's more like a dozen. The list is different almost every time. The emails addresses are pretty consistently from the tail end of the list, though (the Z names).

We were running Donor Manager version 5.77.04, so I upgraded to 5.79.05, and the problem is still showing itself.

Another odd thing is that the same database/program seems to run fine on her home computer, a older dell laptop. We use Dropbox to synchronize the donor5 folder between the Dell and the VirtualBox VM on her mac, so we're sure the data/program is consistent between the two; yet, it works on the Dell and doesn't on the VirtualBox VM. Similarly, Donor Manager ran email clipboard exports fine on her VMWare VM on her older mac laptop.

So, it's almost like the problem stems from running on VirtualBox, but I don't know how the underlying virtualization technology could cause random email address from being dropped from the clipboard. Seems unlikely.

I also tried starting brand new database, and added 8 fake partners, and the problem showed up here, too. So it looks like it's not a problem of screwy data.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help,
-Matt
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: "Put E-mail Addresses on Clipboard" problem

Post by jmuehleisen »

Interesting problem, and one I've not heard of before.

I don't know if there is some limit to what can be pasted to a clipboard in a VM ... it sounds like perhaps it is.

I wish I could offer a solution here ... in this, the DM simply uses the built in Windows functions.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
toddho

Post by toddho »

Didn't see any resolution to this problem... Strange thing is that my wife has the same problem, but not on a Mac with a VM. She has a Toshiba laptop running Win 7. Aside from that, everything else appears just the same.

Previously she had no problems at all (running DM 5.801 on Win 7). Then her hard disk crashed (unrelated to DM). So now that we've re-installed everything, suddenly there's this strange problem. I tried installing DM 5.80.02, but the problem persists.

I can work around it by exporting the list to Excel, but it's nowhere near as convenient.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Todd
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Todd,

Does it make any difference if you use the "batches" feature ... to put 25 or so of the addresses on the clipboard?
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
toddho

Post by toddho »

Nope - tried that.