Processing gift aid

Post your ideas here on new features you would like to see included in future versions of the Donor Manager.
ChrisO
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Processing gift aid

Post by ChrisO »

Hey John,

How about a utility to process gift aid?
In the UK, charities can claim back tax on donations (currently at 28%) from the Inland revenue (nice people that they are!) This has been in effect since 2000, and is back-dateable

Since you are working on importing WBT UK finance statements, maybe this could be part of your project too?

OK, it would actually be more the size of another module, I guess, but if there was a way to generate 'gift aid claim' reports that the IRev. (IRS in the States?) approved, it would make the programme EVEN MORE powerful than present.

An integrated utility in DM would be preferable by far than switching between/using 2 programs for an all-round gift-processing & contact management system...

DREAMS are us...

Seriously, what do you think?

go to:
inlandrevenue.gov.uk/charities/claim_tax_back.htm

for the lowdown

cheers,

Chris
Because EVERYONE should know...
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Gift Aid gifts

Post by jmuehleisen »

Hi Chris,

Your question came a great time. I was working on the WBT UK gift processing routine today and worked a bit on the Gift Aid processing there.

In fact, the routine is being tested today by some WBT UK staff.

Perhaps you'd like to help test the routine to help me get the bugs out and to help make suggestions on how to make it better. If so, let me know (anyone else with WBT UK who's listening in, too!) Just send me a quick e-mail to john@donormanager.com and I'll send you the small testing routine.

Now, I noticed contributions coming marked as Gift Aid refunds (I think that's right), but tied back to the original donor.

Now, I have a question: who is responsible for claiming the gift aid refund? Is that something that you (as a staff member) must do, or does Horsley's Green do that for you? (I'm assuming the latter).
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
EddieA

Post by EddieA »

Hi Chris and John,

I've been testing the UK import module and so far it works like a dream. The gift aid refunds come with a comment marking them as such. From my point of view that is enough information, but Chris might be looking for something else. Are you?

The gift aid refunds are claimed by Wycliffe at Horsleys Green and appear as income on our statements, generally a wee while after the original payment.

Chris, what exactly are you looking for? Can you explain it to a bear of little brain?
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

gift aid processing

Post by jmuehleisen »

Another thing to keep in mind here ... .The gift comments (where I am putting the notation concerning the gift aid) is a new feature in the Donor Manager (5.32 beta ... series). It is not yet in the public release of the program.

But, I anticipate releasing the next update fairly soon.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
ChrisO

whizz-bang gift-aid processing

Post by ChrisO »

Hold on to your hats, chaps...

My dear lady (European) wife and I are piloting the (Wycliffe Netherlands) committee model for the Wyclife support system in the UK.

This entails a committee treasurer who processes gift aid on behalf of WBT UK. The money and personnel efficiencies are potentially clear and worthwhile: to reduce admin and financial burdens on Wycliffe HQ by engaging the church in a way that until now has been excruciatingly difficult to do. (The vast majority of our finance department are salaried. Honorary treasurers, however are not, but in this model contribute towards the mission effort from their own homes).

An added advantage is we get our money quicker, and hopefully there are publicity spinoffs coz more people are involved in the 'team'.

We might even be able to slice off a percent (or 2) of assessment!

I'm therefore looking for integrated software that enables the gift aid reclaim process at COMMITTEE level (i.e for honorary treasurers).

X WOL (a great friend of bears of little brain).
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Now I see. I must admit that I like the idea of getting your support committee to handle the gift aid stuff. I've always been a fan of the Wydliffe Netherlands support committee idea. They do something similar in Ireland. Perhaps the WBT NI office know of some software that might do the job.

It would be nice if donor manager could trace this sort of comment field, but I don't think it would be essential for everyone.

Eddie
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

processing gift aid

Post by jmuehleisen »

The DM could track it, but wouldn't this need to be done at the organizational level rather than on the individual staff member's computer? Since at some point a gift aid eligible contribution is being "flagged" at the accounts department level, it would seem to me that the data should come from there. Of course, I'm not totally familiar with the system there.

I do remember dealing with this a few years ago when I wrote a reciepting module for our organization's UK office, and we handled it there. But my memory is very fuzzy!
John Muehleisen
ChrisO

Processing gift aid

Post by ChrisO »

John,

In a sense you're right.

However, if this system takes off, WBT-UK will need to put some kind of authorization in place to allow committees to act interdendently with the organization, and therefore that DM (ideally) could become the tool that everyone uses for organizing their contacts and finances.

At the moment I'm investigating existing systems for dealing with gift aid, but most are based on other programs which require investment in a licence. I found something using an Access.db, but woudln't wish that on my worst enemy.

Working for SIL has the disadvantage that we offer (most) of our software for free to the world! Other companies aren't so keen!! I think you know what I mean.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

keep us advised

Post by jmuehleisen »

It will be interesting to see how this all works out. Keep us advised.
John Muehleisen