Network?

Post your ideas here on new features you would like to see included in future versions of the Donor Manager.
Eddie
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Network?

Post by Eddie »

Hi John,

You asked for feature requests, so here's another.

Is it/will it be, possible to use Donor Manager on a Network. I keep our mailing list data up to date, but my wife handles the finances, it would be great if we could each work on the data from our own laptops.

Thanks again.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

how to run the Donor Manager on a network

Post by jmuehleisen »

Although the current version of the Donor Manager is not multi-user, you can run it on a network and have multple people looking at the same data ... just not at the same time.

Here's how.

First of all, move your data from c:\donor5\data to a folder that is accessable to all on the network.

Next, create / change your desktop shortcut as follows:

Set the program target to be c:\donor5\donor.exe (or wherever you have the program installed).

Set the "Start in" folder to be the network data folder, for example: g:\donordata

Make sure that there is no c:\donor5\data folder, and you should be able to have multiple users accessing the same data (but not at the same time).

If you try to start the DM and another user is also in the program, you'll get an error message on startup saying that "data access is denied."

Making the DM truly multi-user is on the do-list for future upgrades, though!
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Thanks John!

That's really helpful!
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Thanks John!

That's really helpful!
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

a bit more on network setup

Post by jmuehleisen »

After doing a bit more testing, I realized that I gave some info on the network setup that was not accurate.

The donor manager will always look for a folder named "data" below the "start in" location.

So, if you set up a location on a network, say g:\donordata, the data needs to be in g:\donordata\data.

Sorry for the confusion on that, and I hope I didn't mess anyone up too much.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation