Importing Comments from Wycliffe statements

Post your ideas here on new features you would like to see included in future versions of the Donor Manager.
kisaac
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Importing Comments from Wycliffe statements

Post by kisaac »

I have just started migrating from my personal Access db to DM, and am in general quite pleased with the features. Most of the things I have in my db are handled, along with a lot of neat other features. A couple of the things I use that are not in the current version have already been mentioned by others for
version 6 or the future.

The other non-implemented features are minor, except for one. In my import of the Wycliffe statement, I pull in everything in the "comments" field and store it in the giving history. While this field often has insignifacant information, there are two things listed here that I feel are important to keep.

The first is month designation information from the donor -- e.g. "FT-FOR TWO MONTHS" or "FT-FOR JAN - MAY". This is important to see what the donor is planning and when they are "late". The second is "BT-BANK TRANSFER". This shows that the donor has instituted an automatic transfer. If I see this on a donor's gift, I feel like I can put them down as pledged, even if they haven't contacted me directly.

I do not need some of the other information currently saved, like "receipt", and would be happy with the option of putting this "comment" field in the receipt field, if it is not possible for a new field. This information is important enough for me that I might have to maintain my Access DB to save it or find some way to generate a list of these codes outside DM so I can manually update the records.
kisaac
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Re: Importing Comments from Wycliffe statements

Post by kisaac »

I found a work-around for this, but am still interested in a simpler solution. I import my statement from a CSV file, so I simply open this file before importing, copy the "Comments" column and paste it over the "Receipts" column. Then I save the file and load it into DM.