search option

Post your ideas here on new features you would like to see included in future versions of the Donor Manager.
melianddan
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

search option

Post by melianddan »

I would like a search option for something other than last name. I would ESPECIALLY like to be able to search by e-mail. This way, when an e-mail is "undeliverable," I can type in the e-mail address to quickly find out who it belongs to. Right now, I don't know how to do this quickly. The only thing I know to do is to look at ALL the records til I find it. =0P If there IS an easier/quicker way to do this, I would LOVE to know! Thanks!
hasso
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Re: search option

Post by hasso »

Excel does this (at least as of MS Office 2007).
From DM, choose File > Export. Then, choose XLS or CSV as your export format click Export.
Save the file and open it in Excel.
In the Excel Ribbon, choose Data > Filter (looks like a grey funnel). Click the down-arrow in the Email column to filter by email.

Or, the low-tech solution: export from DM as CSV, open in Notepad or Vim, and search for the email address.

Another advantage of exporting as CSV is you can use the spreadsheet to mail-merge your emails for a personal "touch."
RandyWBT
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Post by RandyWBT »

Try this:

If you are in Donor Manager 5x type a . (period) in any find/search box as the first character followed by the email address you are searching for and then press ENTER.
Find/search will look almost any where including the name field (not gifts as an example). This is easier than exporting to excel/csv format.
Randy
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Post by jmuehleisen »

RandyWBT is giving good advice here.

Putting a . in front of your search term is quite handy, as it causes the program to search in almost all of the data fields.

And, in this case you could even just put .wfar and that would do it.

A few notes:
This is not case sensitive, so feel free to just type things in lower case

Let's say you know the wife's name is "Susan" but you can't remember the family name. Just enter .susan as the search string and you will see all records that have "susan" anywhere in them.

Very handy!
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation