splitting 1 donation into multiple funds

Post your ideas here on new features you would like to see included in future versions of the Donor Manager.
alliewhitney

splitting 1 donation into multiple funds

Post by alliewhitney »

Something I often wish Donor Manager had is the ability to split a particular gift/donation into 2 or more separate gifts. This is needed when a person has sent in one check to our agency but when their donation is actually for numerous "funds" or accounts. For example, say John Doe sends a check to our agency for us for $500. They put a note with the check that designates $300 towards our vehicle fund, $150 towards our general support account, and $50 for us personally for our birthdays. When I import the giving for that month, it shows that John Doe has given 1 gift/check. When I look at John Doe's details, and go to "Giving Details", there currently is no way (that I know of, at least) to select that gift and split it into multiple amounts so that I can write in the appropriate Fund or Motive to indicate the various funds he wanted his gift to go towards. Currently I deal with this by deleting the gift that has the total amount on it, and manually importing it as 3 separate gifts given on the same day, by the same person... then I go into the "Giving Details" and designate each of the gifts towards the various funds that the donor intended. If anyone knows an easier way to do this, please let me know. If not, I think it would be a great addition to the next version of DM. Thanks!
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Re: splitting 1 donation into multiple funds

Post by jmuehleisen »

That's a great suggestion, and as you point out, actually a very common situation.

I will put that on my list of "stuff to think about for the future." I think many folks could take advantage of that.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation