Default data storage, password, installation instructions

Post your ideas here on new features you would like to see included in future versions of the Donor Manager.
Andrew
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Default data storage, password, installation instructions

Post by Andrew »

It would be nice to have an option to choose where the PartnerNames data stored. I was installing and storing DM and data on an encrypted TrueCrypt drive, but that is pointless if all of the address/donation info is stored in My Documents!

Can a password be built into the program? I think simplicity and automatic default backups are very good for ideas, but I also feel some responsibility to try to protect my partners' information if my computer gets stolen, which is a very real possibility with so much traveling.

The installation notes could instruct not to use Program Files, along with the explanation you gave, for those of us who don't always go with the default installation path!
Andrew

Custom Lists

Post by Andrew »

I am also curious why you changed the custom lists (if I remember the correct term) to the Groups function? To me the groups now seem more cumbersome to manage. Instead of quickly checking/un-checking all appropriate lists/groups, I must go into a separate tab, select the appropriate group, and click Add. Is it difficult to make all of the lists/groups completely customizable with check-boxes and user-defined names?
Andrew

Shortcuts and single envelope customization

Post by Andrew »

I miss having the shortcut "page up, page down" to move to the next partner. Maybe there was a good reason to remove that ability?

Can the process of inputting manual donations be quickened by putting in a shortcut key combination or making the "Record this gift" button the next tabbed button after inputting the amount? When you are inputting 30 donations given through your organization, changing the fund designation is unnecessary most of the time.

Can the single envelope options include a customize envelope option similar to the bulk envelope option?

Sorry if I'm giving too many suggestions. I appreciate your willingness to answer support issues and your desire to make the program better, so then I'm willing to take the time to point out some of the things I notice/have noticed that (in my opinion) would make the DM better! Keep up the good work - for every one suggestion I have, you have put in 99 good ones already!
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: Default data storage, password, installation instruction

Post by jmuehleisen »

>>Sorry if I'm giving too many suggestions.
It's not a problem. I find the best ideas often come from fresh eyes.
>>I miss having the shortcut "page up, page down" to move to the next partner. Maybe there was a good reason to remove that ability?
Actually, I thought it was in there! I don't use it, so I never noticed that it wasn't working.

I have working in the next update which will be out later today (build 74 or later).
>>Can the process of inputting manual donations be quickened by putting in a shortcut key combination or making the "Record this gift" button the next tabbed button after inputting the amount?
Good suggestion. Done.
>>Can the single envelope options include a customize envelope option similar to the bulk envelope option?
Tell me more what you would customize here. The single envelope option runs an internal routine (very fast) to produce the envelope. The bulk envelope runs the envelopes out to Word for printing. That gives you all of the power of Word for formatting the envelope, but with a significant speed penalty. The trade off is worth it for a lot of envelopes, but I'm not sure it is worth it for the "one off" envelope.

So, tell me more about what you would like to customize.
>>I am also curious why you changed the custom lists (if I remember the correct term) to the Groups function?
The custom lists was limited (by screen space) to 10 lists. The groups feature is totally open ended.

So, it is far more flexible. If the implementation is cumbersome, that can certainly be looked at.

But the main reason was simply some users have a very detailed segmentation strategy, and 10 lists (which worked fine for me) simply didn't work for them.

But I'm open to suggestions on how to make this easier to use.
>>It would be nice to have an option to choose where the PartnerNames data stored. I was installing and storing DM and data on an encrypted TrueCrypt drive, but that is pointless if all of the address/donation info is stored in My Documents!
This one is already "in the works." It will come within a week or so (it's been on my "do list."
>>Can a password be built into the program? I think simplicity and automatic default backups are very good for ideas, but I also feel some responsibility to try to protect my partners' information if my computer gets stolen, which is a very real possibility with so much traveling.
A password can be implemented, but let me tell you why it isn't there right now.

Some time back a group of us were discussing this very issue. A password simply isn't enough ... there must also be data encryptation.

The DM uses an open data structure. You can open the DM files with Excel, Open Office, ... all kinds of things.

That is both good and bad. It is fast and it makes the data easily usable by other programs.

But the tradeoff is security.

So the consensus of that discussion was that password protection was needed at a higher level, and that putting things on a TrueCrypt drive is much more comprehensive solution.
>>The installation notes could instruct not to use Program Files, along with the explanation you gave, for those of us who don't always go with the default installation path!
Very true. I was hoping that the "install dm data in any folder you want" feature in this update, but it just didn't make it.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Regarding the customize single envelope request, I was thinking of a link to a Word template like the bulk envelope option. I hear what you are saying about speed and simplicity, however, and that makes good sense, so might be best to leave as is.

I just like to be able to customize things like font, spacing, salutation, etc. The main thing I would customize is the first line of the address field. I have input "Mr. & Mrs. John Smith" in the DEAR field in DM, as I find that is the easiest way of doing labels/envelopes with Word mail merge. However, the single envelope command brings up the NAME field "John and Jane Smith" and I can't change that.

Is there a better way to get the kind of title I want on bulk envelopes rather than using the DEAR field to put in the whole thing I want? It seemed like I had to fight with Word so I wouldn't end up seeing "Mr. & Mrs. John and Jane Smith", etc. Does that make sense? Using the DEAR field as the total input cleared up that issue, but I don't think that's what you intended it for?

Regarding the custom lists, the space issue is understandable, although with the expanded DM look there is extra empty space on my screen - could that be used? I wonder if at least a few of the custom lists could show up with checkboxes so they would be easy to check. Or could you double click on a GROUP in order to check/uncheck it? It's a minor issue though, so I'm overall ok with the status quo.

Regarding the password/data encryption, it helps again to understand the reasoning! I'll probably go back to TrueCrypt once there is an option to choose where the data is stored.

Thanks for answering all my questions and for the program update as well! I appreciate having the filters back in as well.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

The single envelopes are really set to use whatever you have in the "name" and "name 2" fields.

So, you would put "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith" or "John and Jane Smith" ... or whatever you want to appear on the envelope.

Then, you would use the "dear" field for your salutation in a mail merge. Put there whatever comes after the word "Dear ..." ... so it could be "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" or "Mom and Dad" or "John and Jane" or however you would greet them in a letter.

At least that is the thought here.
Regarding the custom lists, the space issue is understandable, although with the expanded DM look there is extra empty space on my screen - could that be used?
It depends on the width of the screen.

On my laptop, there is very little extra space to the right.

When I hook up my desktop monitor, I have a LOT of space to the right.

So, if I knew that everyone had nice widescreen monitors, we could indeed take advantage of that extra space.
I wonder if at least a few of the custom lists could show up with checkboxes so they would be easy to check.
I'm considering that ... it's really just a matter of space.
Or could you double click on a GROUP in order to check/uncheck it?
If you are looking at the "groups" tab on a donor record, you can indeed double click and it either selects it or unselects it.

Another option would be to make the list of groups in the extreme upper corner to be a list of all groups with check boxes by each.

If there are a lot, though, that would require scrolling. But that is actually quite doable.

Let me think a bit on that one.
I appreciate having the filters back in as well.
Let me know if you run into any problems with these. I had some bug reports earlier today (confirmed as bugs) and have put out an update that I hope resolves several of them.

I don't yet have the "advanced filters" and the "custom groups" talking together yet, though.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Ok, thanks for explaining those.

I like the idea of scrolling GROUPS with checkboxes!