Archiving partners

Post your ideas here on new features you would like to see included in future versions of the Donor Manager.
Michael
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Archiving partners

Post by Michael »

Is it possible to add a feature where we can archive partners with whom we currently have little contact, but we would still like to keep their information on file?

I have people on my list that I may or may not ever contact again. I would like to keep their information somehow because 'you never know', but I don't want their names cluttering my Partners list.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

archiving partners

Post by jmuehleisen »

Well, the program currently doesn't do that, but I kind of like that idea. I can see where that would be really useful myself.

Let me put that on my "stuff to think about" list and see where it ends up.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
vegiemite

Post by vegiemite »

I'll second this request. When we started out we had a bunch of people identified as potential supporters but now a couple of years later they haven't shown interest and it would be great to be able to back up their data and delete them from the primary list.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

what do we call them ?

Post by jmuehleisen »

What term would you suggest for these?

Actually, I was thinking I should extend this to have (as a beginning) the following categories:

active
inactive
deceased

Of course, you could also use the "partner type" to indicate "Formerly interested" or "dormant." But, that would not remove them from the lists, reports, etc.

I'm still thinking on this one the best way to approach this, but I certainly agree it would be a nice addition, and makes perfect sense.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Michael

Re: what do we call them ?

Post by Michael »

jmuehleisen wrote:What term would you suggest for these?
Not sure... so far I'm using a custom partner type called 'Former Contact' so I can filter them out of searches, but yeah, they still show up on the main list. 'Active/inactive' would probably work ('deceased' could be covered by 'inactive'.

Or 'active/archived' might work too.

We trust your judgment.

:D
guitarmanvt

Post by guitarmanvt »

I've been using the term "REMOVEDRECORD" as a partner type. I'm planning to delete them after my next backup. If I need them in the future, I'll restore the backup. (I'm actually using Pack-and-Go files for my backup.)

The main idea I think is that these records don't show up unless you really want to see them, regardless of whatever you call it. Could you ad a filter to the partner list that "hid" partners that are marked "inactive/Former/etc." in the PartnerType field? (In SQL Server, you could probably accomplish this with a "View" of the Partners table. I have no idea how Foxpro does it.) In the "Options," we'd need a way to "Show/Hide Inactive Partners." I think this would be not unlike how DM works already when you filter the partner list (e.g., "Churches Only").

Ok, one last possibility before dinner. If DM were able to open partner records from multiple data sources, then we could "switch" from a "current partners" database to a "former partners" database. Bigger, nastier, but another possibility.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

I'm thinking about making this another user definable thing.

You can give a name to the type, and say "Yes / No" consider this type to be "Active."

So, three categories that come to mind to me are:

Active Yes, show on main list
Inactive Hide on main list
Deceased Hide on main list

If I make it totally user definable, then people can set it up however they want.
John Muehleisen
Michael

Re: Archiving partners

Post by Michael »

So, 2 years on... any update? ;)
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: Archiving partners

Post by jmuehleisen »

Yep. This feature is in DM 6, which I'm hoping to release the first beta of in the next week or so.

The first beta will be too unstable to use for "live" data, but it will give folks a chance to take a look at where things are going and to make suggestions on new and revised features.
John Muehleisen