Maping Choice

Post your ideas here on new features you would like to see included in future versions of the Donor Manager.
MrZed

Maping Choice

Post by MrZed »

It would be nice to have a mapping configuration so that we would have a choice of which mapping service is used when you click on the MAP button.

Yahoomaps,
mapquest,
rand Mcnally etc.

Dan
John Muehleisen

Mapping options

Post by John Muehleisen »

Dan,

5.25 beta 9 adds MapQuest as an option for mapping.

I couldn't figure out how Rand McNally does their addresses, nor could I figure out Expedia Maps.

Anyone have some other suggestions of favorite mapping services where the map can be called via the URL?

John
Rod McLeish

Reminders

Post by Rod McLeish »

John - would it be possible to have the reminders indexed by date?

Great program!
Rod McLeish

Mapping

Post by Rod McLeish »

How about Mapquest?
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Support for MapQuest is in, starting with version 5.25

Post by jmuehleisen »

Mapquest support is there.

You can indicate your preference back in the /Tools /Personalize section: at present, you can choose between Yahoo and MapQuest.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
SteveP
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Mapping -- Could we enter our own URL?

Post by SteveP »

For us non-US folks, the mapping options available at present (Yahoo and Mapquest) are not too helpful. With a bit of fiddling and manual filling of fields I managed to get a UK map with Mapquest; but it didn't come just by clicking that option.

If we were given the opportunity to enter our own URL for the program to access when "Map" is clicked, it would be a simple matter to cut-&-paste the postcode, for instance.

Or John, maybe you'd find it easy to do a routine for British users to send the postcode to http://www.streetmap.co.uk?? (I find this the simplest online mapping site for this country.)

Thanks again for all your efforts on our behalf! The more I use this program, the more I appreciate it.

-- Steve.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

UK Mapping

Post by jmuehleisen »

Steve,

I checked the www.streetmap.co.uk web site and they give very clear instructions on how to link to their site.

I'll see if I can get this in to the program in the next update cycle. It looks pretty easy.

Thanks for the good suggestion.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Streetmap.co.uk now added to the DM for UK mapping

Post by jmuehleisen »

Steve,

Support for mapping UK addresses will be included beginning with version 5.32 beta 16.

You'll need to go to the /Personalize /Editing Options and set the maps provider to Streemap.UK.

I have only one UK address on my mailing list, so I'll depend on the feedback of UK users to fine tune this.
John Muehleisen
totheunreached

Post by totheunreached »

would it be possible to call up and use a program already on the computer such as microsoft streets and trips or some other common program as i am often not in a place where a connection to the internet is possible.

thank you,
Josh
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

offline maps

Post by jmuehleisen »

Josh,

I've wondered that same thing myself (usually as we're driving down the road wishing we'd printed out a map to someone's house".

If the mapping program makes their program accessable to other programs via "automation," then it would indeed be possible.

However, I've not found any information on how to access this information from outside of the program. If we can find that info somewhere, then it could indeed be done.

Some software publishers publish the specifications for how to do this, and some don't. I looked around on Microsoft's web site to see if they published any help for their "Streets and Trips" program, but no joy.

Check the help file on your program. See if there is any mention of an "api" or "automation." Let me know if you find anything.
John Muehleisen
Dsnev

MS Streets and Trips

Post by Dsnev »

I have been reading some in the forum's. I got to messing around with the maps and thinking about a link to something like Microsoft's Streets and Trips. I found that I could map all the contacts from the excel backup DM puts in the "my documents" folder. MS Streets and Trips had an "Import data Wizard" option that did this. I am guessing that because this is done from within MS Streets and Maps and you are looking for a way to get DM to execute this on it's own - without having to have MS running, it is not exactly what you are looking for?

AAA's program worked the same way; you could import an address, but I didn't see any way to automate starting AAA (or MS Streets...) from another program.

The only downfall of this import is that when you import the excel file, you get all your contacts. This places a lot of "thumb tack" icons on your map that you may not really want. For what it's worth.
jandrewjernigan

Mapping

Post by jandrewjernigan »

John,

Another possible option for mapping is MapPoint by MSN. The link is www.mappoint.com

Hope this helps. I like MapPoint better than MapQuest.

Andrew
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

mappoint

Post by jmuehleisen »

Andrews,

Mappoint is nice, but it doesn't appear that they let you pull up a map by passing the address through in the url (as does Yahoo, Mapquest, etc.).

It looks like they only make that available via a paid subscription.

But, the maps sure are nice!
John Muehleisen