Sort order in Browse Full Screen

Post your ideas here on new features you would like to see included in future versions of the Donor Manager.
elke

Sort order in Browse Full Screen

Post by elke »

Would it be possible to change the sort order of the columns in Browse Full Screen?

Here is where I missed this feature:
1. I imported the data for some colleagues. Actually, they have their own mailing list in the database plus the mailing list for another missionary. Part of the two mailing lists overlap though. I mapped the two sets to two user defined lists. Later I thought that I could have saved myself one of the user defined lists by mapping their newletter mailing list to the "Send Newsletter" field. It was good that in the Browse Full Screen view I could move the user defined list column next to the "Send Newsletter" column. Then I went down manually and made sure the two columns matched. It would have been MUCH easier though if I could have just sorted the Browse Full Screen view by the appropriate user defined list. All the clicked ones would have been next to each other and I would not have had to worry that I could miss one in the middle.

2. In my own little Access database (which I used before I discovered DM) I used to have a field called "temp". I used this a lot to mark temporarily a set of records that I needed for a certain action (eg: send out invitations for a meeting to people in a certain housegroup, plus other selected individuals in a certain region). To be able to add the touch or bulk print the envelopes I need to have a filter that cannot be defined by the other criterias available. It was very handy to be able to click those names on the temp field, do whatever I needed to do and then take the checkmark off again. In DM it will be rather bothersome to go down the list of over 600 names manually and look for the 35 or so that have the temp flag to take it off again. If the Browse Full Screen view was sortable by different columns I could just have them all together in one lump and take the mark off again in a snap.

Now, I am NOT a programmer, so I have no clue whatsoever how much would be involved in including a feature like this, but it sure would be nice to have it, and since this is the place for a wish list, I decided to put it here :).

Many greetings from Elke
Wycliffe International
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

sorting columns

Post by jmuehleisen »

Hi Elke,

You'll be happy to know that the "sort by a column by clicking on it" is making its way into the next DM update. I'm working, slowly, to get that feature into as many of the lists as I can, for the exact reason you mentioned.

Now, on the question of the "temp" field. I do exactly the same thing. I just use one of the 10 user definable fields for this. i can "tag" whatever records I want, then easily filter on them for reports, envelopes, letters, whatever.

Then, when I'm done, I can clear the "tags" with one click (on the /Personalize /Customize Lists screen).
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation