portable apps?

Post your ideas here on new features you would like to see included in future versions of the Donor Manager.
kevin

portable apps?

Post by kevin »

is it possible to make it portable? install on a usb stick so that it can be easily used on two different computers
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

portable donor manager ?

Post by jmuehleisen »

What a great question!

I'll check to see if the DM can indeed run totally off a usb stick.

But, also check out the "Pack and Go" routine ... makes it really easy to transfer your DM data between computers. I use it all the time. Unfortunately, it doesn't "synchronize" between computers (but that may be coming).

I'll let you know on the "will the DM run on a stick" question.

John
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

yes, the DM will run on a USB stick

Post by jmuehleisen »

Sure enough. The Donor Manager will run on a memory stick.

Here's how I set mine up.

First of all, make a folder on the stick for the donor manager.

Next, copy donor.exe to the folder on the stick. If you have data on your desktop, copy the data folder as well (and put it a folder one level deeper). For example:

f:\donor
f:\donor\data

Now, you need to get 4 files from c:\windows\system32. Each of them begin with vfp6*.*. The 4 files are:

vfp6run.exe
vfp6t.dll
vfp6r.dll
vfp6enu.dll

That's all you need to make the program run.

But, I still think the best solution would be to install and run the program from the hard drive on a computer, and use the "pack and go" routines to transfer data from one computer to another.

Let me know how that works for you!
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
kevin

portable apps?

Post by kevin »

thanks have loaded onto usb, could only find

vfp6renu.dll
vfp6r.dll
vfp6run.exe

but put these in main folder and program seems to work fine, this is a bonus for me as I tend to take laptop on the road with me make alterations then forget to update desktop. Now I have solved that problem.

thanks for your help and a great program
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

portable donor manager

Post by jmuehleisen »

Kevin,

I'm glad it worked out.

While we're on the subject of "portable apps" (that will run from a flash drive), let me put in a plug for "portable thunderbird."

Portable Thunderbird is a full featured email program that will run totally from a flash drive. I've been using it for several months when I travel in rural Kenya and it has been a wonderful addition to my computer tools. For those with a need for something like this, it's really great to have.
John Muehleisen
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

recommended site: www.portableapps.com

Post by jmuehleisen »

Just a add a bit to this thread, there is a very informative website at:

www.portableapps.com

This is a great "hub" of information about software that will run totally off a USB drive. I use a number of these programs, and they are a great addition to my software collection.
John Muehleisen