Year field for Special Events

Post your ideas here on new features you would like to see included in future versions of the Donor Manager.
markb

Year field for Special Events

Post by markb »

I'll still learning my way around this program so perhaps there is a way to do this that I haven't learned yet. I would like to keep track of birthdays of donor children & anniversaries. Is there a way to put the year in a field on the Special Days screen (and then perhaps get a reminder to send a card?)

Just a thought.
Thanks!
Mark
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

special days

Post by jmuehleisen »

Mark,

On the "Special Days" section, it doesn't accept years, just the month and the day. You could put a year in the comments section, I guess, but the idea is that this is for annual events.

You can see or print a list of the special days on the /Relationships /Special days page.

Now, if the event is a "one time" event, you can use the "Reminders section." Here's how. On the partner master screen, go to the "Touches" tab. There you can put info and and add a "reminder". This one will accept a year, and might help you.

I guess it just depends on what you want to do. Ideas for improving this are welcome!
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
guitarmanvt
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Post by guitarmanvt »

Looks like the "Relationships" tab has since been renamed as "Support Development".

It would be nice to have a year field, but it's OK to put the year in the comments. This helps me calculate ages when a birthday comes up. That way I can send an appropriate card on the "big" birthdays (40, 50, 60, and so on).

Also, I make an entry when a baby is due. When the baby is born, that entry converts to a birthday.

It would also be nice to have a little more characters in the Event field. For families, I like to put the name of the family member, followed by the event: "Robert Graduation". Right now that doesn't fit. (I guess I could just put the person in the comments, too.)

Just out of curiosity, how do you use the Event field?
guitarmanvt
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Post by guitarmanvt »

It would also be nice to have a little more characters in the Event field. For families, I like to put the name of the family member, followed by the event: "Robert Graduation". Right now that doesn't fit. (I guess I could just put the person in the comments, too.)
I've tried something different that might just mitigate the previous comment. Here's how I'm using the Event and Comments fields:

In the Event field, just put the type of event. Birthday, Wedding (for upcoming weddings), Anniversary (once the blessed event has happened), etc.

In the Comment field, start with the 4-digit year. If you don't know it, put "????". Then, if you need to specify what person in a family, or other details, put that after the year. This way, the years all line up nicely when you look at the "Special Days" view.