User-defined checkboxes/importing contacts

Post your ideas here on new features you would like to see included in future versions of the Donor Manager.
chrisleake
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

User-defined checkboxes/importing contacts

Post by chrisleake »

Hi John,
Here's the next question:
Our organization is starting to make a master list of contacts, pulling together the personal contact lists of each of our missionaries. I realize we're stretching a bit what DM was made for, but so far it's working out pretty well. What this means, though, is that we could use quite a few more user-defined checkboxes or pull-down menus. Would it be possible to add more? Also, is there any way to set things up so that you could check user-defined checkboxes as you import from Excel or whatever other program, rather than having to go back and check them manually once the contacts are imported? I know you've got a lot on your plate, so no worries if some of this stuff is too much of a stretch, just thought I'd ask!
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

user definable lists

Post by jmuehleisen »

Chris,

Sorry to be slow in responding. I've been travelling for the past 3 weeks in rural Kenya, Uganda, and Ethipia with minimal internet access.

I understand what you are wanting to do. Probably where I am going on the "can we have more checkboxes" issue is to do one of 2 things. Either I am going to add another tab for "Lists" where you can make an unlimited number of "lists" and put people on as many "lists" as you want (as opposed to the current limit of 10), or I will create a "categories" feature (ala Outlook) which will essentially do the same thing.

Now, the second question, "Can we assign something to a "list" on import" is another question. That can indeed be done, and I can give you an immediate "I can do it now with a few FoxPro commands" option. To get it into the program, that will take a while.

Let me know if you (or anyone else) are interested in some FoxPro commands that would allow you do this (bulk tag names).
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
chrisleake
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Thanks

Post by chrisleake »

Thanks for your reply. We'll be looking forward to future updates. For the present we have been able to work things out reasonably well with the current features. I would be interested in a few FoxPro commands, but only if it would not take much effort on your part. I do not have experience working with FoxPro, but might play with it some if you gave the commands. If it's going to take any time or trouble though, then don't worry about it, and we'll be fine with the current features and look forward to the next update. Thanks a bunch! May God bless your ministry in Africa!