Different user identities

Post your ideas here on new features you would like to see included in future versions of the Donor Manager.
chrisleake
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Different user identities

Post by chrisleake »

Hi John,
Once again, thanks so much for all your hard work in making such a useful tool for everyone! I've been meaning to get on here for a while and post some of the new features I had been email with you about, so here they are finally. I'm not much up on computer programming, so who knows what can be done with some of this stuff, but I'll throw it out there anyway. I'll go ahead and list each one as a separate topic.

First, I was wondering if there would be a way to make it so someone could keep two or more different contact lists in Donor Manager under separate identities--a "business" list and a "personal" list, for instance?
Thanks!
Chris
Dan Neville

different user id's

Post by Dan Neville »

Not sure either of these will help, but I have done two different things to accomplish something similar. Both are work-arounds; not a nice addition like requested. Anyway, heres what I have done.

The simplest thing was to just define a check box as "Info only" or "Buisness contact". Then you can sort to a list that is not a "donor contact".

The other thing you can do is to install DM twice in different locations. I have done this to show an older version compared to a newer one. My actual "in use" version is installed to the default location. The second one is installed to a different location like "C:\Donor2" instead of the default "C:\Donor". Then I just dragged the Donor.exe icon to my desktop and labeled it accordingly. Each Icon will point to the appropriate installation and "Viola" you have two different dba you can keep.

It's "clunky" but has been working great. Thankfully I have a decent size harddrive and have the space to do this.

Hope that helps until theres a better way.

Dan
chrisleake
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Good idea!

Post by chrisleake »

Installing DM in two different locations is a good idea, thanks for sharing it!
Chris