Doing "smart" searches

Do you have a favorite tip that you'd like to pass on to everyone else? What shortcut do you wish you had discovered your first week of using the program? Post it here! Share what you have learned!
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Doing "smart" searches

Post by jmuehleisen »

There are several places in the Donor Manager where you can do searches. This normally searches in the "Sort Name" field.

So, you type the first few letters a last name, and the Donor Manager tries to find that name.

But, if you preface what you type with a period (.) (or any punctuation mark, actually), the search looks in ALL data fields of the Donor Manager.

This is great is you know someone'e email address (let's say because a message bounced), but you have no idea who "agreatemailaddress@juno.com" actually belongs to.

Just do a search for .agreatemail and you should find who you are looking for.

I use this feature a lot, and I think you will too.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
DaveJohnson
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Post by DaveJohnson »

Oh my goodness!! I have been wishing for a way to do a search like this and I came here to ask about it, and just so happened to click on this "tips" board and here it is!

AWESOME!
Nibiri_Rubada

Expanded search function

Post by Nibiri_Rubada »

Well, John, I finally discovered the expanded search function. I have always been frustrated by not knowing I could do this.

This will be a real time saver when I want to track down bad e-mail addresses, or which church has which pastor, or whatever other detail.

I am glad to find this addressed in the Tips forum. Thanks.
Binilibu Bungiu.

(God bless you.)
Elwood

Re: Doing "smart" searches

Post by Elwood »

Great setup. How about numbers, though. Can it find numbers, like phone numbers. I get my long distance phone bill and all the phone numbers have no names. I don't always remember to record donor contact by phone. :oops: It would be great if DM could find numbers as well.

Cheers, Elwood
Michael

Post by Michael »

It seems to search for numbers in some fields, but not all. If I do a number search, it finds matching numbers in the Zip Code field, or the notes field, but not the Phone field.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Thanks for this information.

I'll include this in the next major update.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation