Giving Details

A place for discussion on how to use the program more effectively

Giving Details

Post by Guest »

Hi John,

Once more I would like to say, "Thank you!" Donor Manager is GREAT! I applaud you for your hard work that helps so many missionaries.

I have a question concerning "giving details". I like what you have done in this area. Especially the ability to enter a receipt number. I think I might have a potential problem if I utilize this area though.

When I am given a cash offering at a church for a service, I issue a receipt for that offering then send it to our headquarters. I would like to be able to track that cash offering along with the receipt number. It looks as if you have made this possible. Here is the problem... If I manually enter the contribution and the receipt number I think I will have an extra contribution when I import my monthly statement from HQ at the end of the month. I know that cash offering will show on my monthly statement so it will automatically enter it at the import.

I hope you see my thought process here. Any ideas?

Gaylord
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

giving details

Post by jmuehleisen »

Hi Gaylord.

Thanks for the kind words.

You are probably correct in your thinking. If you enter the gift manually, and then it comes through again on your organizational report, it will be entered twice.

Maybe! It depends.

Here's what the gift posting routine does. It looks at the gift amount, the donor, and the date in your contributions report. Then, before it posts that gift, it checks to see if a gift from that donor on date for that amount has already been given. If so, then it does NOT post it as an additional gift. But, if it doesn't find a match, then it does post it.

Now, if your organization puts the gift in using the exact same date that you do (doubtful, I would think), then the posting routine would see the match and not double post.

But, if your organization is like most, they make the entry the date the gift is received and receipted at HQ, not the date that you received the offering out at the church.

So, I think you would indeed end up with the double posting.

Bummer.

You could make a note about the offering in the "touches" screen (and even put a follow up reminder to yourself a month from now to make sure it came through the system OK).

Just an idea.

Now, having said that, let me give a few warnings here about the "giving details" stuff.

First of all, this is very much a work in progress. Don't depend on this until we get all of the bugs out of it!

Currently, the routine does not post receipt numbers to the giving history (I'll have that in "real soon now.") But, many organizations do not put their receipt numbers on their reports to staff (eg: WBT).

Plus, I have a lot to do in terms of reporting and analysis on the detail giving. There are a number of places in the program where things need to change and it will take a while to get to all of them.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation