networking with windows 7

A place for discussion on how to use the program more effectively

dthawk
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

networking with windows 7

Post by dthawk »

John,

We are really liking DM 6. However one thing I want to do is use the program on my home network because I don't frequently have access to the machine DM is on. (a Vista Machine) I purchase a new Windows 7 Machine and wonder if there is a way with my configuration to do this. I realize we can't both use DM at the same time since it is not a multi-user program. I looked through the forum and found a brief explanation by SamBean on how he did it but it was sketchy on a few things.

Does donor manager need to be installed on both machines? Is there any update on how to do this on the new operating systems? Is anyone else doing this?
David Hawk
http://www.loshawks.com
If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants
-Sir Isaac Newton
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: networking with windows 7

Post by jmuehleisen »

The DM does not need to be installed on both machines, but the "runtime" files do.

So, I'd just go ahead and install the DM on both machines.

Then, I'd change the shortcut that launches the program so that it starts in the shared data folder on the network.

So you would have: Program command: c:\donor6\donor.exe

Start in m:\shared_dm_data_folder\

So, the software will run on the local machine, but the data should pull from the network.

Let me know if that doesn't work for you and I'll make some "tweaks" to make it place better on the network.

In DM 6.1 I hope to add the ability to specify exactly where the data is located ... that will make networking even easier. And, it will support multiple data sets.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
dthawk

Post by dthawk »

hmm. Well I have tried all I know to do. I have installed DM6 on Both computers. The icon has the following properties:

This is the W7 computer on the network that I use.

Target: c:\Donor6\donor.exe
Start in: \\TOSHIBA\donor6\data (This is the computer with the data, Vista)

Under these settings My computer starts DM6 with NO Data

If i do the following:

Target: c:\Donor6\donor.exe
Start in: \\TOSHIBA\donor6

I get an error: c:\donor6\donor.exe The directory is invalid

What am I doing wrong?

I have made sure my computer is discoverable, that I have given permission to all users and that file and printer sharing are on with no password.
dthawk

Post by dthawk »

After messing with this for several hours I am convinced Windows& does not play well on a network unless it is the Homegroup. Since other versions cannot belong to a homegroup or join a homegroup, the files you want to access need to be on the Windows 7 machine,... I think. This won't work for me because the Vista machine is the one that stays home when I am on the road.

I am able to see the \\Network\donor6 folder but when I click on it it says that I am not authorized. I have tried removing firewalls, giving full permissions to all users and setting it to be discoverable.

I think I need to wait for the next upgrade. :cry:
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Under these settings My computer starts DM6 with NO Data
I think I know what is causing this one, and it will be a temporary problem. Once I get the "Run the DM and you can specify the exact folder where you want your data files to be" thing running, then I think you'll be OK.

That's next on the list after I get the new filtering routines written, and then DM 6 will be ready for me to say "this is public now. Use it."

Other goodies will go into 6.1.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation