Export data to Excel document

A place for discussion on how to use the program more effectively

Angie M
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Export data to Excel document

Post by Angie M »

I am wanting to put our mailing list information into an Excel document for other uses. How do I do this?

Thanks,
Angie
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: Export data to Excel document

Post by jmuehleisen »

There are several options here.

First of all, the Donor Manager will create a copy of your DM mailing list data in Excel format each time you exit the program.

It puts it in your "my documents" folder and the file is named "partnernames.xls."

Now, there are several additional "export to excel" options on the "Export" page, which you can get by clicking here:
dm-export-1.gif
dm-export-1.gif (8.23 KiB) Viewed 18774 times
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Angie M

Post by Angie M »

I did a search for that file name under My Documents and didn't find an excel document called partnernames.

When I try to use the Export tool in DM, I choose the Excel and the Mail Merge options, but when I click Export I get an error message that says "invalid path or file name."

I'm not especially computer savvy, so I might be missing something simple.

Thanks for your help!
Angie
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

didn't find an excel document called partnernames.
Well, actually, you may have that option turned off. Go to Tools -> Personalize -> Auto Backup Options. You can turn this option on and off there and specify the file name.
when I click Export I get an error message that says "invalid path or file name."
You should be able to simply <ignore> this error and the program should continue on OK. If it doesn't let me know.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Angie M

Post by Angie M »

Thank you! I went to the Auto Backup Options. It was checked, so I tried clicking it off and then on again, and now it works! I found the excel document where it should be, under My Documents.

This is great and so helpful - thanks for all your work to help us stay organized!

Angie
AAADeafCAN

Post by AAADeafCAN »

When I export using the "Last Year, but Not This Year" feature, it doesn't export all the donors for that period. It seems to randomly skip some. Also, a similar question pertaining to the excel sheet auto-backup: Every partner is listed with their names, addresses, etc. but not their support. It is listed as "0". Any ideas?

Thanks.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

@AAADeafCan,

Thanks for your post. I've not had any reports of bugs in these two routines.

Let's take a look at these:

LYBUNTY Report not working right

I checked the code on this and it looks right to me.

This is the logic here.

The program checks the date of the last gift from this partner. If it is between 12 and 24 months ago, they should appear on the list.

Now, if this LYBUNTY report is called from the "home" screen, that is the only filter applied.

If it is called from the Reports -> Giving Analysis -> LYBUNTY Report, then any other filters that are set on the right side of that screen are also applied.

One thing to try (to see if it makes any difference): Try the "Update Giving Statistics" routine on the pull down "Tools" menu ... let me know if that makes any difference in the results you are getting.
ss-update-giving-stats-1.gif
ss-update-giving-stats-1.gif (22.78 KiB) Viewed 17632 times
Excel export does properly show support amounts

I checked this one and it seems to work properly on my computer.

I have modified the export a bit to include 2 additional support fields. Currently, it exports the "support" field. It now also includes the "support amount" and "frequency" fields.

Look for this in DM 5.83 or DM 6.0 beta 51 or later (which I will upload later today).

Let me explain how these fields work:

Let's say someone pledges $ 600 per year. The program converts this to $ 50 monthly, but also records that they don't want to give monthly, but annually.

It could be that this information is not calculating properly (and it might not if you have not set the "Frequency" field.)

Anyway, let me know if this update makes any difference for you.
John Muehleisen
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

DM 5.83 and DM 6.0 beta 51 have been uploaded. These have the additional "support" fields in the "create an excel file in the documents folder when the DM quits."
John Muehleisen