Importing Help!

A place for discussion on how to use the program more effectively

Gene

Importing Help!

Post by Gene »

Hello, and thank you for developing this awesome software! I need some help trying to import. My organization allows me to download .csv files which I open in Excel 2007 and save as an Excel 97 (.xls) file. When I try to import this, I get a series of errors:

OLE Error code 0x80030020 A share violation has occured

After I press ignore and do the mapping:
Microsoft Excel file format is invalid.

I have tried several attempts, no success.
Gene

Post by Gene »

DOH!
Nevermind...I was first using my laptop, which runs the newest version of Office, so I went to my desktop which runs Office 2003 and started all over, works perfectly. My hunch was that even though I saved as Office 03 file, it wasn't saving right. All is good!
Kantamba
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

same error

Post by Kantamba »

i get the same error. i am running excel 2007, with a saved file in .xls. when i try to import i get that same error as Gene has mentioned. However, i don't have the option of using a different computer. any suggestions?
Kantamba
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Post by jmuehleisen »

When you get this "share violation"error, it means that the file that you are trying to import is currently open in Excel, and Excel has an exclusive lock on the file.

Close the file in Excel and try the import again. It should work this time.

Now, if you get an error complaining about the Excel file format, then save the file in Excel as an "Excel 95" file. That ought to get things moving again.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
bexalted

Re: Importing Help!

Post by bexalted »

I need help importing backed up files for Donor Manager from a system restore that was recently performed at a retail location. I am Pre-101. Any suggestions or comments?
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Re: Importing Help!

Post by jmuehleisen »

Depending on how the backup was done, you have several alternatives.

For example, all of the donor manager's data is stored in the "/data" folder under the folder where the donor.exe is installed.

Most of the time it is in c:\donor5\data (but it could be in c:\program files\donor5\data, or elsewhere).

If that folder is included in your backup, then you are in good shape. Just restore that folder and you are in good shape.

If you have a "pack and go" file, that can be used for a restore as well.

Tell me a bit more about your backup file and I can give you more specific advice.

Or, feel free to write to me directly at john@donormanager.com.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation