Where did my advanced filters go?

A place for discussion on how to use the program more effectively

Laurie
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Where did my advanced filters go?

Post by Laurie »

I just updated DM and went to print labels. But I found that the advanced filter that I wrote in 5 is no longer an option. I cannot reproduce it in the new interface. Is it hiding, or no longer available?
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: Where did my advanced filters go?

Post by jmuehleisen »

Thanks for your question.

The advanced filtering is not yet in DM 6.

Tell me a bit about how you are using it, though. During the beta testing period, not a single beta tester mentioned that they missed this feature, so I concluded that no one was using it.

So, tell me a bit more. The code is actually still in there, it just is set to not show.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

The immediate use case is to filter mailing labels to send print newsletters. The criteria are:
Include: Send Newsletter
Exclude: Has email addr
Location: Select cities (if I have a city in the address block, I know that I have a valid postal address)

I reverted to v. 5 so I could get my labels printed yesterday, but that's not a good longterm solution.

Some other filters that I have (I haven't investigated 6 thoroughly enough to know if I can replicate these):

Send Newsletter, Not Family, Not Email prayer up, No E-Mail address available

Send Newsletter, Is Not a Church, No E-Mail address available | State = TX

Send Newsletter, Not Email prayer lt, No E-Mail address available

Send Newsletter | State = AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, KS, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, OH, OK, PA, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI, WV

Send Newsletter, No E-Mail address available | City = Arlington

I have a few more that only use one criterion. I may still be able to do those in 6.

Thanks for looking at this, John.

Laurie
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Just a quick note to give you an update on this.

I have the advanced filtering added back into the program and will upload this latest update fairly soon.

On challenge, though, is getting the advanced filters to work with the new "groups" feature.

That is taking longer to sort out than I expected.

I will let you know when there is an update for you to try.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Thanks, John. And thanks for the effort you've put into this tool for so long. I've been using it for many years!

Laurie
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Fantastic! It's working like I expect again.

Thanks, John, for the quick fix.

Laurie
chriswinkler

Post by chriswinkler »

John, I appreciate you adding the advanced filters back--I used it frequently as well. I thought you might like to know how I used it, if it helps in your development process.

When I send a newsletter, I send most by e-mail and a few by snail mail. Those that get it by e-mail belong to a group called E-Newsletter. I used an Advanced Filter to create a list that was everyone that was cleared to receive a newsletter but was NOT a part of the E-Newsletter group--these folks received the snail mail version.

If you can think of a workaround I can use in the meantime, I'd be grateful. Otherwise, I'll hold on until the bug gets fixed. Thanks!
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

I thought you might like to know how I used it, if it helps in your development process.
Yes, it does help, so thanks for this.
If you can think of a workaround I can use in the meantime, I'd be grateful. Otherwise, I'll hold on until the bug gets fixed. Thanks!
The ability to select names that are NOT in a group is coming.

But, I'm also thinking about adding a special data field for setting how you want newsletters sent.

Although the 2 obvious cases are "e-mail" or "paper" ... often people like to break it down a bit more than that, so I'll probably make this user definable.
John Muehleisen