Import Giving Data

A place for discussion on how to use the program more effectively

yodaredd
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Import Giving Data

Post by yodaredd »

I am trying to import my contact list and giving data from an excel spreadsheet without much success. The usual name and address fields are populating fine, but I'm not sure how to connect pledge amounts, giving amounts, and dates.
Is this possible?
Apologies if this is a topic already discussed, I searched and couldn't find it.
Thank you for any help!
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: Import Giving Data

Post by jmuehleisen »

You can enter the pledge amounts, but that import routine is designed just for an initial load of names and addresses.

Giving history files vary so much in format that it is very difficult to write a "generic" gift importer.

But, I've done dozens of custom gift history imports for people, so if you want to give that a try, send me an email with a sample of the Excel file. Just blank out donor names for confidentiality .... I just need 5 or 10 lines so I can see the format of your file.

I'll take a look and we'll see what we can do.

John
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
yodaredd

Post by yodaredd »

Thank you John, and seriously thank you for this program!

I saw the "Record Contributions" section, but I never clicked on it assuming it was a one input at a time feature. My data is all imported now with success (my agency already had a custom routine).

Maybe in a future revision you can include "Import Giving Info" in the Tools->Import section menu item. I assumed any importing I could do would be listed there since the Tools menu is at the top level. Obviously not a big deal, but it would help with the learning curve for newbs like me ;)
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Maybe in a future revision you can include "Import Giving Info" in the Tools->Import section menu item. I assumed any importing I could do would be listed there since the Tools menu is at the top level. Obviously not a big deal, but it would help with the learning curve for newbs like me
An excellent suggestion.

Although, you would be surprised how many people never look at some of the options on that menu.

But adding the import giving information is an easy fix and will show up in an update pretty soon.

Thanks again for suggesting this.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation