Can I modify the address portion of the envelope template?

A place for discussion on how to use the program more effectively

djklord
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Can I modify the address portion of the envelope template?

Post by djklord »

I've decided to switch from my self-designed MS Access db which I've been using for several years to Donor Manager. In my db I have a Salutation field which is not simply something like "Mr. & Mrs." but rather the entire first line of the address. In this way, I can use a line such as "The Thompson Family" (because I would like the children to feel included.)

So, when importing my data (which I had exported from Access to Excel), I match my Salutation field to the Dear field.

Then, I modified the first line of the envelope.doc template from "name" to "dear", but as you know, this doesn't work. Is there a way I can modify the address portion of the envelope template (besides hacking the program with a binary editor)?
Dan Lord
Wycliffe Bible Translators
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Post by jmuehleisen »

Dan,

You said:
Then, I modified the first line of the envelope.doc template from "name" to "dear", but as you know, this doesn't work.
As far as I know, this does work. Now, it's not just a matter of typing <<Dear>> in the envelope. You have to use Word's command to insert a merge field, but the "Dear / Salutation" field IS available in the data file that is used to generate the envelopes.

Or, am I misunderstanding the question?
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
djklord
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

I finally figured it out.

Post by djklord »

Thank you, John, for your reply.

I was simply editing the fieldname, not knowing that that would not stick.

It took me a while to figure out how to edit the default fieldname in Word 2007. The "Insert Merge Field" button was greyed-out, but when I right-clicked on the fieldname, I was given an option to edit the field. This was the key to changing the fieldname to <dear>.

Now, I can do what I want!

Thanks, again.
Dan Lord
Wycliffe Bible Translators