linking entries in finance report to existing entries in db

A place for discussion on how to use the program more effectively

djklord
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

linking entries in finance report to existing entries in db

Post by djklord »

The first time I processed one of the new format WBT (html) finance reports, donor manager asked me to link the donors in the finance report to existing entries already in the db. For the first few, only one entry was shown as a possible record to link to, so I started to very quickly process the donors from the html file.

Well, before long I discovered that for some donors more than one choice was given as a possible match, and the actual match wasn't the first choice.

So, what happened was that I linked some donors to the wrong db records.

My question is, how can I break these wrong links and correct them?

Forgive me if I should know this, I'm rather new to the program - although on Wednesday evening I am scheduled to teach it to a group of people who recently returned from the field.
Dan Lord
Wycliffe Bible Translators
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

de-linking donors

Post by jmuehleisen »

Your question actually has 2 answers.

First of all, with the new WBT HTML statements, the linking is done using the Donor ID number, which is coded into one of the reference numbers on the donor report for MOST donors (but, unfortunately, not all).

So, if you did the linking on one of the new statements, simply go to the Partner that you linked wrong, and remove the Donor ID number.

Now, if you did the wrong link using the older RTF style statements, then you do it differently (the RTF did not provide a Donor ID number, so the Donor Manager program does the linking using the Donor Name and Zip code internally.

Anyway, to clear the link on one of those donors, find the donor record, then, using the pull down menus (/File /Edit /Report /Tools), go to /Tools /Reset Gift Matching Link.

That ought to do it!
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation