New Installation

Are you needing help with installing the Donor Manager program? Here's the place to post your questions! However, please don't use this forum to post bug reports.

snellmom
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

New Installation

Post by snellmom »

I am doing a first time install. I'm installing onto Windows XP. I keep receiving a blank screen with the following errors with the option of Locate, Ignore, Cancel, or Help for each one.

Error instantiating cursor object. Cannot find
c:\programfiles\donor5\pledgesource.dbf

c:\programfiles\donor5\fildet.dbf

c:\programfiles\donor5\fildef.dbf

c:\programfiles\donor5\moreinfo.dbf

c:\programfiles\donor5\giftreview.dbf

c:\programfiles\donor5\fundid.dbf

c:\programfiles\donor5\giftmotive.dbf

c:\programfiles\donor5\giftdetail.dbf

After "ignoring" all of these files, I get the following error:

Error loading file - record 712. grdType <or one of its
members>.Control Source : Alias 'PLEDGESOURCE' is not found

I'm not the technical one in the family, but I'm trying to get this up and running.

Thank you!
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: New Installation

Post by jmuehleisen »

I've gotten several messages from folks having this problem, so I must have missed something in the initial setup routine of the latest version.

Attached to this post is a zip file that contains a set of the blank data files for the DM (as of May 25, 2010).

Save this file into your c:\donor5\data folder and then "expand" or "unzip" the file there.

That should clear up these errors you are getting.

Now, only use this with an initial setup of the DM on a new computer.

Also, I've noticed a number of setup errors if the program is installed into c:\program files\donor manager (or something like that).

This version of the DM really wants to be installed in the root of drive C.

If you still get stuck here, send me an email at john@donormanager.com and I'll be glad to help.
Attachments
data_blank.zip
(15.46 KiB) Downloaded 997 times
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: New Installation

Post by jmuehleisen »

For those who may be reading this thread, I have confirmed a bug in the initial data table setup routines in version 5.64 (and possibly a version or two earlier).

This has been fixed (I think) in version 5.65 and later.

So, if you are running into these types of installation problems (usually the first error you get is "pledgesource cannot be found") then delete your data folder (c:\donor5\data usually) ... assuming there is no data in there.

Then download and run the installer for the latest DM "Version Update" (be sure you get 5.65 or later).

That should set up the data files properly for you.

If you are migrating data from another computer, your "pack and go" file should work just fine for you at this point.

If you run into problems, send me an email at john@donormanager.com and I'll be glad to help you sort this out.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation