Can I access DM files on my home network?

Are you needing help with installing the Donor Manager program? Here's the place to post your questions! However, please don't use this forum to post bug reports.

SammyBean

Can I access DM files on my home network?

Post by SammyBean »

I am planning on importing the files for our donor records for the past 13+ years from "Personal Ministry Manager" into Donor Manager, and once this is set up, I would like to be able to access the record files from both our desktop and our laptop computer. Presently, our records our stored and maintained on the desktop, and are accessed by the laptop on our home network through a "Mapped Network Drive". This works quite well since only ONE set of records is updated regardless of which computer accesses the files. My question is: Can I set this up the same way with Donor Manager?
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Re: Can I access DM files on my home network?

Post by jmuehleisen »

Basically the answer to this question is "Yes."

The DM will run fine on a network. But, it is not fully multi-user so only one person can work in the program at a time.

Now, you mentioned that you plan to convert from Personal Ministry Manager. You will be pleased to know that I have a gift importer for PMM -> Donor Manager just about ready to go. (I'm testing it this week).

So, hang on for a few days and your job will be a LOT easier.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
SammyBean

Re: Can I access DM files on my home network?

Post by SammyBean »

Hi John,

Actually, SammyBean is Sam - so there is only one of us converting from PMM to DM (as far as I know).

As far as running the DM program on the laptop and accessing the DM data files on my desktop, how can I set up DM to look for the data files on my network. Is there a place in DM to set up where it looks for the data files (on my network)?

---
NOTE: See answer posted under "Favorite Tips From Users"