Running from USB?

Are you needing help with installing the Donor Manager program? Here's the place to post your questions! However, please don't use this forum to post bug reports.

Rondo

Running from USB?

Post by Rondo »

After reading the following quote, it looks like one could run donor manager off of a USB drive - with only a few files on the host computer.

I'd put donor manager on the USB: E:\donor5\
And I'd put 4 files (vfp6*.*) in the \windows\system32 folder.
No registry changes would be needed on the local computer.

Do you think this would be true?

It would be very useful to me since I have access to lab computers where I shouldn't leave personal information.
jmuehleisen wrote:Steve,
If you get totally stuck, you could do a manual install from the other computer.

Here's how. A flash drive would make this pretty quick and easy.

Basically, you would need all of the files in the c:\donor5 folder (and sub folders). Copy those to c:\donor5 (or whever you want to install the program).

Next, you would need all files that begin with vfp6*.* in the \windows\system32 folder. There are 4 files there that need to be transferred to the system32 folder on the new computer.

Then, create a shortcut on your desktop to the DM program: Target: c:\donor5\donor.exe Start in: c:\donor5

Adjust as needed for your situation.

That would get you running.

Then, to transfer data from computer 1 to computer 2 (and vice versa) use the "Pack and Go" routine. It makes quick work of stuff like this.

Let me know how it goes.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Donor Manager running on a USB Flash Drive

Post by jmuehleisen »

Actually, it's even easier than that.

Instead of putting the vfp6*.* files in the c:\windows\system32 folder of the computer, you can put them in the \donor5 folder of the flash drive (along with donor.exe). The program will run just fine with those files in that folder, and then you don't have any files at all installed on the computer. Everything is on the flash drive.

At least that should work!

Let me know if you run into any problems with this
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
bschwager
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Running from USB?

Post by bschwager »

John,
I was able to get Donor Manager to run sucessfully, but it backs up to the My Documents on the local computer. Any way to add a setting to designate where the backup goes?
I also use Pstart on my thumbdrive to start applications. It provides a nice startup menu on the system tray. See http://www.portableapps.com/
- Bruce Schwager
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

running DM on a usb drive

Post by jmuehleisen »

Bruce,

I'm glad you got it working OK.

You can disable the backups that the program makes in the "My Documents" folder by going to /Personalize /Auto Backup Options and changing the settings there.

Just uncheck the 2 options there (which are "on" by default and you should be OK).

Oh, and thanks for the links to www.portableapps.com. That is a great resource. I've have very good results with portable thunderbird.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Rondo

Re: Donor Manager running on a USB Flash Drive

Post by Rondo »

jmuehleisen wrote:Actually, it's even easier than that.

Instead of putting the vfp6*.* files in the c:\windows\system32 folder of the computer, you can put them in the \donor5 folder of the flash drive (along with donor.exe). The program will run just fine with those files in that folder, and then you don't have any files at all installed on the computer. Everything is on the flash drive.

At least that should work!

Let me know if you run into any problems with this
I tried this with a network drive (which works pretty much exactly like a thumb drive) and it is working great. Thanks!