Error message on install

Are you needing help with installing the Donor Manager program? Here's the place to post your questions! However, please don't use this forum to post bug reports.

stevemelina

Error message on install

Post by stevemelina »

Can't install Donor Manager

Receive this error message: install.exe is not a valid Win32 application

MS Help online says this is the reason: "This behavior can occur if the program you are trying to install uses a 16-bit Install.exe or Setup.exe file. Windows XP for 64-bit platforms does not support 16-bit programs."

I am using Windows XP Pro. This is a new computer. I previously installed DM on our desktop (Windows XP Home) and had no problem.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

64 bit install problems / how do do a manual install

Post by jmuehleisen »

Steve,

Sorry to hear that you are running into problems.

It sounds like the 64 bit XP doesn't like the older version installer that I've been using!

If you get totally stuck, you could do a manual install from the other computer.

Here's how. A flash drive would make this pretty quick and easy.

Basically, you would need all of the files in the c:\donor5 folder (and sub folders). Copy those to c:\donor5 (or whever you want to install the program).

Next, you would need all files that begin with vfp6*.* in the \windows\system32 folder. There are 4 files there that need to be transferred to the system32 folder on the new computer.

Then, create a shortcut on your desktop to the DM program: Target: c:\donor5\donor.exe Start in: c:\donor5

Adjust as needed for your situation.

That would get you running.

Then, to transfer data from computer 1 to computer 2 (and vice versa) use the "Pack and Go" routine. It makes quick work of stuff like this.

Let me know how it goes.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation