installation blocked

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

Annie Olsen

installation blocked

Post by Annie Olsen »

I've just downloaded Donor Manager 5.31;all files were downloaded to the desktop by default. When I click Open, I get the following error message:

"16 bit Windows Subsystem. C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. [buttons for Close and Ignore]"

Either button gives the same result, which is to make the error message go away.

I searched for *Donor*Manager* in My Computer and found the following files in the \WINDOWS\Prefetch folder:
DONOR_530_FULL_INSTALL.EXE-11F1D3E0.pf
DONOR_530_FULL_INSTALL.EXE-092DD894.pf
DONOR_MANAGER_USERS_GUIDE.EXE-0485647A.pf

Properties for donor_530_full_install in the desktop folder:
Type of file: Application
Description: Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor
Company: Microsoft Corporation
File Version: 4.71.1015.0
Date Created: 1/19/2005
Size: 5.89 MB

Can't help but wonder if the numbers, etc. after .EXE are causing the problem...but if not that, there must be something else keeping it from installing.

Any suggestions? My husband and I really want to use this program!

Thanks,
Annie Olsen
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Installation problems

Post by jmuehleisen »

Annie,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the setup.

The problem you are describing is new to me, so I'm just guessing here.

First of all, you can ignore the stuff in your prefetch folder. The main file you want is that donor full install exe that you put on your desktop.

Try this first of all: reboot your computer. Completely. Then try the installation again by double clicking the full install exe that you put on your desktop. That ought to run the installation program for you.

If you are still getting those error messages after the reboot, then I have no idea where the problem might be, so I'm really hoping that the fresh reboot will help you.

One other possibility might be to turn off your anti-virus before trying the install (but that really SHOULDN'T be a problem). Don't forget to turn the AV back on after you're done.

Let us know how it goes. This one will be interesting. Perhaps some other user reading this who knows more about the operating system can help us figure this out.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation

installation blocked

Post by Guest »

The problem is probably a bad or missing autoexec.nt file (probably missing). This file (as well as config.nt) does not always exist on Windows 2000 and Windows XP installations. Autoexec.nt and Config.nt are used to initialize a DOS environment for applications that use a DOS environment for their processing.

There should be autoexec.nt and config.nt files (plain text files) in c:\WINDOWS\system32 (note: the Windows folder may be named WINNT instead of WINDOWS). Here is a sample autoexec.nt file:

@echo off
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

Here is a sample config.nt file:

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

--Darrel
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

installation error

Post by jmuehleisen »

Hmmm.

Neither the DM nor its installer would need a DOS environment, so I wonder what's happening here ... ?
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation