Adding contacts

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

DaveJohnson
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Adding contacts

Post by DaveJohnson »

I have an Excel File filled with about 50 new partners I wish to add to my existing DM database. The list includes names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses. What is the easiest way to import this list into my DM without affecting the existing partners?

Dave
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Re: Adding contacts

Post by jmuehleisen »

Using the pull down menus at the top of your screen (/File /Edit /Report /Tools) choose Tools -> Import -> Import from Excel.

Make sure your Excel file is in Excel 5.0/95 format (Excal 97/2003 format sometimes causes a crash) and then "map" those fields.

After mapping, and right before you import the names, the Donor Manager will ask you if you want to add these names to your data file, or replace your data file with these names.

You will want to "add" them to your file (of course!)

That should do it for you.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
DaveJohnson
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Post by DaveJohnson »

Thanks! Worked like I hoped!
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Great. I'm glad to hear that worked out for you.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
xasavannah

Post by xasavannah »

I have followed the steps above and saved the file accordingly but when I get to the "Preview Import Data" screen I get the following message: "Cannot DROP all existing columns".
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

It sounds like you have missed a step.

You need to "map" the data fields in your Excel file with the field in the DM that you want them to be saved into.

So, for each field in the Excel file ... look for the DM field that has a corresponding name.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Or, if you get really stuck, just send your Excel file to john@donormanager.com and I'll be glad to help.
John Muehleisen
xasavannah

Post by xasavannah »

Agghh!! You are correct. Since it was automatically populating my column names I assumed....well anyway. Thank you for responding. Loading contacts was a success.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Great. I'm glad that you got it worked out.
John Muehleisen