Deleting Donations

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

rriggs

Deleting Donations

Post by rriggs »

I tried to import my statement from Wycliffe in HTML format. I then ran some reports and things did not look right or match. I created some excel speadsheets from within Donor Manager to do more checking and it still isn't right. I tried to do some manual corrections but made things worse. Totals are not reflecting the correct amounts.

Is there a way I can delete all gift information and start over without loosing all my Donor details? I tried re-importing the HTML and now some of the reports have doubled the total contributions. I am new and this is the first contributions I am recording so I would prefer to delete them and start over. Any ideas on how to do this?
RandyWBT
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Re: Deleting Donations

Post by RandyWBT »

rriggs wrote: Is there a way I can delete all gift information and start over without loosing all my Donor details? I tried re-importing the HTML and now some of the reports have doubled the total contributions. I am new and this is the first contributions I am recording so I would prefer to delete them and start over. Any ideas on how to do this?
I don't know how to delete all gifts through the donor manager front-end. There is a function under Tools called clear a months giving info. You Could run it for each month of giving history.

There is a problem that I have found when importing Wycliffe statements whenever there is a four line address in the statement, a credit card donation where CC appears in the first line of the detail for the donor, or a one line address as in an anonymous gift. These look like:

Case 1
06/12/08_Yes____MRE0001716121__1234567.123456______100.00
___Fake Church
___Missions Treasurer
___123 Fake Rd
___Fake City, ID 12345

Case 2
06/12/08_Yes_CC_MRE0001716121__1234567.123456______100.00
___Mr. and Mrs. John Doe
___123 Knox Hill Rd.
___Hill City, ID 12345

Case 3
06/12/08_Yes____MRE0001716121__7424865-616512__ N-Anon.__20.00

In the sample report entries above the underscores are spaces or tabs. This reply forum doesn't retain tabs or spaces and reduces them to a single space making the lines a bit unreadable above so I have used the _'s. This was just to give you an idea what type of entries cause the system to burp.

For me these problems result in bogus dollar amounts making it look like I am receiving millions of dollars (I wish). I usually edit the html code directly in a text editor:

For case 3 I remove the anonymous donor (1 line entries) entirely and add it later manually.

For case 2 I delete the capital CC.

For case 1 I remove one of the address lines (Mission Treasurer).

This is not easy to figure out in the html, but I have found out what lines of code this is through trial and error. It is still worth it to me to use Donor Manager even with this issue.

Good luck and I hope this response helps.
Randy
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Post by jmuehleisen »

There is an option on the "pull down" tools menu (File / Edit / Report / Tools) that allows you to delete all of the contribution records for a given month.

This makes it easy to re-do a month when things get really messed up.

Look for /Tools /Clear a Month's Giving Info
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation