Moving your DM data folder to another location

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Moving your DM data folder to another location

Post by jmuehleisen »

I recently received an email with this question:
I would like to move my DM installation / data folder from c:\donor6 to a different location on my computer. How can I do this?
The DM program can be installed almost anywhere on your computer, except in c:\program files. (A future update to the program will allow this).

And, at present, the data folder must be in a folder named "data" under where the DM program is installed.

So, let's say you have installed the Donor Manager in the default location: c:\donor6 and you want to move it to c:\zdonor6.

Here would be the process:

Step 1: Rename the DM folder from c:\donor6 to c:\zdonor6 using your Windows Explore file manager.

If you want to move from c:\donor6 to c:\users\joe\documents\donor6, then you could simply drag and drop your c:\donor6 folder to the c:\users\joe\documents folder.

So, moving the program and files is fairly easy and straightforward.

Step 2: Change the program shortcuts on the desktop, start menu, and possibly your taskbar.

How this is done is different in Windows 7 and Windows 8, but basically you will need to change the "properties" of the icon / start menu item to point to the new location. This is on the "Shortcut" tab of the properties box.

You'll probably need to change the "target" and "start in" options to point to the place you have moved the Donor Manager to.
ss-dm-program-properties-1.gif
ss-dm-program-properties-1.gif (12.66 KiB) Viewed 23731 times
Step 3: The next time you do a "live update" the update installer will try to install the update into the same location that it used the last time you did an update.

And, this is probably the old location of Donor 6.

So, take special care when doing this first live update after your "move" to make sure you install to the new location. In future updates, the update installer should remember this new location.

That should take care of this for you. Feel free to ask follow up questions if you run into any problems, or contact me by email at john@donormanager.com
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation