Error Code 2

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

Misha
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Error Code 2

Post by Misha »

Wycliffe (as of March 2006) sends member statements out in a slightly different viewing format. They are still .rtf documents, but are viewed in a multi-page format that shows more at one time on the screen. It is possible to change the view so it looks 'normal' again, though.

Anyway, when I went to import my Wycliffe statement just like I do every month, Donor Manager gave me a "Sorry. I cannot read this statement Error Code 2" message. I am guessing it has something to do with the slight adjustment on the view of the WBT statement, although the document properties or arrangement of fields within it have not changed. Is there a way to work around this?

Thanks! Michelle
Misha
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Error 2

Post by jmuehleisen »

Michelle,

I think that there are 2 different things at work here.

First of all, the "Error 2" code simply means that the gift import file was not in the format that the Donor Manager expected. That can happen for a number of reasons.

Now, you mentioned that you are now seeing the report in a "2 pages per screen" format. My guess is that Word is putting the file in "Reading Mode," and that it doesn't really represent a change in how WBT is sending out the file.

There is a setting in Word that turns this "2 page reading mode" off. It is /Tools /Options /General /Allow Starting in Reading Layout.

Now, back to the "Error 2" question.

There are several reasons why this error might come up.

First of all, there might genuinely be a change in the WBT format. They do "tweak" these things from time to time. And, I think we are aware that there is a major format change in the works right not.

But, the file might also change if you have done a very simple, and very frequently done thing. Let's say you open your RTF in Word from the email. Then you save it in some other folder using /File /Save As. If you have changed anything in the document, it is just possible that Word has slightly changed the internal format of the RTF file, and that is throwing off the Donor Manager.

Try this. Take the original email, and safe the attachment again directly. Don't open it in Word first. Just save the attachment (somewhere where you will be able to find it easily).

Then, try pointing the DM at that freshly saved attachment. See if it works any better now.

Be sure to let us know here on the forum how it goes. And, feel free to email me directly at john@donormanager.com if you are still having problems. We'll get it figured out!
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Misha
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

it worked!

Post by Misha »

Thanks so much - I saved it once more (without opening it) and it worked just fine when I brought it into DM.
Misha
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Error 2 when importing contributions

Post by jmuehleisen »

Michelle,

Thanks for writing back and letting me know that the re-saving of the file helped.

I guess that kind of confirmed my suspicion that Word somehow "messes" with the RTF format, at least enought to confuse the DM gift import routine.

Be sure to let me know if you run into any other snags!
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Rondo

Error2 is now:There do not seem to be any gifts in that file

Post by Rondo »

I have a similar problem that if I even save the exact same text (with Word 2003), then the file is not readable. With version 5.36.6 the error message has changed to "There do not seem to be any gifts in that file", but it used to be "error 2"

My work around is simply to make sure I never save the file. [In case you are wondering why a user would even want to save their statement, I was downloading it viewing it and then saving it where I wanted it on my machine without editing it.]
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

that's right ... don't open the file in Word and then save

Post by jmuehleisen »

You are exactly right.

Apparently, opening the file in Word and than saving it causes Word to change the file just enough to confuse the DM.

And, that's what the "Error 2" means ... I just can't seem to understand what's in this file.

Just save it directly from your e-mail /File /Attachments /Save As ... rather than opening them in Word then using /File /Save As in Word.

It's a pain, I know!
John Muehleisen