DM for the Palm OS

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

MbuyaJohn

DM for the Palm OS

Post by MbuyaJohn »

Jambo,
I can't sing the praises of DM enough. It took me days to write the code to import our Wycliffe statements into Access, and you have it built into DM. Finally we've moved out of the days of pith helments and into the days of airconditioned Land Cruisers. Sante Sana, Mbwana John!

Is there any chance that we could see a version that would work on the Palm OS, at least a stripped down version that would allow viewing and maybe entry. It looks like there is some kind of Palm compatability with FoxPro (http://www.advisor.com/Articles.nsf/aid/MCCAM01). Not being a fundi in FP I don't really know what would be involved but I'd be happy to Beta test.

Whatever you do in word or deed...
Blessings,
John Heins
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

using DM data on a palm handheld

Post by jmuehleisen »

John,

Thanks for the kind words.

At this point, the key to using your DM data on your Palm (or PocketPC) is to find a program that can read the .dbf format data files that the DM uses, or that can read .xls files.

I used to export my DM data to Excel format, then put that file on my PocketPC (I know people who have done that with Palm PDAs as well), and then I could at least read my DM data. There is no synch at this point.

I have fooled around with several programs that do offer a true sych, but have never been able to get them working reliable.

We'll keep looking for a good solution to this. At this point, I'm leaning towards synching the DM with Outlook, then allowing one of the many Outlook -> PDA synching programs to take over at that point.

I'll bump this up a bit higher on my do list.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Michael

Outlook Synchronization

Post by Michael »

Synchrnoizing with Outlook sounds like a great idea! Then it doesn't matter what PDA is used, people can rely on their own PDA synch-software.

I for one would love for DM to synch with Outlook as I find myself enterign many new contacts into both tools.

Thank you for a great tool!

God bless you!

Michael
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Synching with Outlook

Post by jmuehleisen »

Just a quick comment on synching with Outlook.

Outlook keeps name information in a very different format than the DM, and I would have to change the way the DM stores names in order to get a full featured synch with Outlook.

That's one of the things that has me scratching my head.

Just a little tidbit of information.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
totheunreached

syncing with Mozzila or Thunderbird

Post by totheunreached »

Was wondering if it were possible to sync with Mozzilla mail or Thunderbird mail?