printing envelopes w/template

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

grntgb

printing envelopes w/template

Post by grntgb »

I edited my envelope template when I generated envelopes for a mailing (which worked great). Is it possible to use that template when I print an individual envelope from the partner detail screen?

Gail
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

envelope templates

Post by jmuehleisen »

Hi Gail,

Unfortunately, the current version of the program doesn't allow much customization of the "print me one envelope quick!" format.

The reason is very simply speed. It takes time to fire up Word, transfer the data, and do the envelope.

Maybe what I'll do is this. I'll put in an option for the single envelopes. I'll set it so you can either do the quick envelope or send the envelope to Word (with the accompanying delay).

I'll put that on my "do list" for a future release.

John
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
grntgb

Re: envelope templates

Post by grntgb »

Hmm...I'm not sure it warrants a pgm change. (I was mostly asking whether the feature was there and I wasn't seeing it, being relatively new to the software). The way I printed my individual envelopes was by using the Reports>Envelopes print-range feature and typing the donor's name for beginning and end name. That wasn't too bad - probably about the same "wait" as it would be if you added the option to the donor detail screen. I'm ok doing it that way. I wouldn't want to clutter up the detail screen, which is pretty full anyway...unless you've had lots of other users really wanting this capability or something.

Thanks for your help!
Gail
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

single envelope options

Post by jmuehleisen »

Actually, it wouldn't clutter up the donor detail screen.

The option would be back on the /Tools /Personalize /Single Envelope options. You could choose 1. print quick envelope or 2. print single envelopes with Word.

And, actually, the delay would probably only happen with the first envelope as Word loads for the first time. After that, Word would probably be still in memory and would fire up pretty quickly.

Of course, a lot of people have anti-virus programs that scan all documents before opening them, so that would cause a bit of a delay as well.

Just out of curiosity, what did you customize on your envelope template that you'd like to see on the single envelope? Maybe that would be another possibility.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
grntgb

Re: single envelope options

Post by grntgb »

Okay, I see where you'd put it. I forgot about that option under Tools. That would work.

Let's see. What did we change on the template...we used a different return address, changed the font (I think - I don't remember what the default was), and increased the font size (trying to be sensitive to the eyesight of older recipients). I think I also moved the recipient's address up a little on the envelope.

Another reason I might prefer to print from Word is that I then have a chance to easily mess with my printer/ink settings.

Just my thoughts so far. I haven't been using the program long enough to be sure of my preferences (it was our first mailing with it). But I love it so far!

Gail
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

single envelope options

Post by jmuehleisen »

OK. That info is helpful as I try to figure out how best to enhance this part of the program!
John Muehleisen