Why you don't want a "one time gift"

This forum is for general discussion on support development topics rather than Donor Manager software specific issues.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Why you don't want a "one time gift"

Post by jmuehleisen »

Many people use the phrase “one time gift.” I think that phrase should be eliminated from our vocabulary. Here’s why.

The main reason is that we don’t really want a “one time gift.”

Do you really want a donor to give, just one time? Most of us don’t. Most of us hope that that donor who isn’t perhaps ready or able to commit to regular support will actually give another gift beyond this “one time gift.”

That’s why I think we should say “special gift.” Not “one time gift.”

If I ask a donor for a “one time gift,” I am, in effect, promising not to ask them for another gift. By this contribution, I am saying they are done. However, if I ask them for a “special gift,” then I may ask them again another time for another “special gift.”

So, although I know that some organizations use that phrase to refer to those special gifts used for a project or a “launch” fund (or whatever you call that special cash need upfront to get you on the field), I prefer and recommend the phrase “Special Gift.”

Just my opinion! Feel free to disagree. My wife disagrees with me regularly, and I still love her!
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
guitarmanvt
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Post by guitarmanvt »

Since reading this, I have followed your recommendation. I generally only say "Special Gift" even when replying to questions about "One-Time Gifts."

However, one warning: Some people really mean it when they indicate that a gift is a "one-time gift." Be careful when approaching these people for further financial partnership. You might offend them, especially if they feel that you don't appreciate what they've already given (often, sacrificially). (It makes for a very awkward conversation, believe me! :oops:)

Keep in mind that these "one-time gifts" represent relationships. These people may be very helpful in other ways, such as prayer support, referrals, and connections with churches.
Michael

Post by Michael »

lol.... semanticists..... :D
guitarmanvt

Post by guitarmanvt »

On the other hand, you should follow-up on gifts that come in marked "One-Time Gift". Last week, I called to gently inquire about such a gift.

It turns out that my partner had gotten a bonus from work and wanted to share with us. From their point-of-view, this was a "once-per-year" type gift. This partner then decided to support us on a monthly basis as well.

I'm going to tell you roughly what I asked, so that you can offer better wordings. This is tough, and I'd really like to be able to convey the message "You are important to me, but I really need to know about your financial partnership, too." This is what I said:

"Thank you for your gift last month. I noticed that you wrote that it was a one-time gift. I wanted to make sure I did not misunderstand. Did you mean this is a one-time-for-all-time gift and that you may be able to continue support in other ways, such as through praying for us, but probably not financially?"

Fortunately, this partner was very easy to talk to, so it went OK. But I appreciate your suggestions!