The 10 Commandments of Newsletter Design

This forum is for general discussion on support development topics rather than Donor Manager software specific issues.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

The 10 Commandments of Newsletter Design

Post by jmuehleisen »

Here is another excellent resource from http://www.supportraising.org. Be sure visit their site for more great ideas!

Creating a Monthly Newsletter
(That People Will Read!)
The Ten Commandments of
Layout and Design for Donor Newsletters

And Curt Harlow, the National Chi Alpha Resource Guy, spoke all these words:

“I am married to a great graphic designer and she brought me out of the land of bad newsletters and spake unto me….

• You shall have no other information at the top except YOUR NAME and the FULL NAME OF YOUR MINISTRY.

• You shall not make for yourself a newsletter that is OVER CROWDED. Nor shall it have small text, and a cacophony of images or you will not receive support for a thousand generations.

• You shall not use THE COLOR BURNT ORANGE (or similar “Kinko’s” discount paper colors) on your newsletter.

• Remember the Sabbath and actually SCHEDULE TIME every month to do the job with excellence. If thou doith it at the last minute your supporters shall thinkith “This is a sloppy ministry and I shall find another placeth to invest my coin.”

• HONOR YOUR SUPPORTERS in every letter and it will go well with you. Tell them thanks, but avoid financial appeal (it won’t work anyway) and never use “poor” talk.

• You shall not murder the English language. FIND A PROOFREADER.

• You shall not engage in BAD PHOTOCOPIES.

• You shall STEAL GOOD IDEAS from friends in ministry.

• You shall not give five testimonies and seven updates with six prayer requests and fourteen scriptures. STICK TO ONE MAIN THEME and this shall you do creatively.

• Don’t covet your neighbor’s COLOR INK JET PRINTER. Raise your budget and get your own.”
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation