Book: How to Write Exceptional Missionary Letters

This forum is for general discussion on support development topics rather than Donor Manager software specific issues.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Book: How to Write Exceptional Missionary Letters

Post by jmuehleisen »

I recently ran across a reference to a book published by William Carey Library called Writing Exceptional Missionary Newsletters by Sandy Weyeneth.

Has anyone read this book? If so, how about writing and posting a review of the book here for us.

You may contact the Author at smweyeneth@aol.com or order the book from www.WCLBooks.com
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Caryl

Writing Exceptional Missionary Newsletters

Post by Caryl »

I'm currently reading it and many topics show actual newsletters as examples.

Part I of the book covers Essentials for Writing Newsletters and chapters cover Why Write a Newsletter and Tips for Excellent Writing that includes 8 tips.

Part II is Essentials for Producing and Sending Newsletters and covers Production and Strategy Essentials, Sending and Mailing Essentials, E-mail and Personal Websites, Sending Newsletters While Living Overseas and Final Thoughts with an Appendix that includes a checklist for writing your newsletter.

The writer is part of the "Navigators' Staff Funding Team and has coached veteran and new missionaries to write top-notch newsletters."

I think the best part you will pull from the book is how to develop a story in your newsletter. She shows a story written one way and then shows how it can pack so much more punch by reorganizing what the person had said.

I found some topics a little thinner in content then I would have liked but I also picked up tips to get me thinking differently in some areas. Since I do some graphic design/desktop publishing the design tips were not as valuable for me.

The book is 8 1/2 x 11, B & W inside with 125 pages including the Appendix.

Something that helps me get ideas for my newsletters is that I get others newsletters also and pull the good stuff from them, just as they do with mine. For examples of my newsletters (June's will be up June 2) go to www.wysite.org/sites/caryl